Masonry core-drill bits - hammer action or not?

I've always used masonry core bits like this one using hammer action:

It never really occured to me that maybe I shouldn't be using hammer action, even though it does exactly what I want. So, does anyone know for sure which mode these bits are meant to be used in? Hammer action or not?

Reply to
me

me used his keyboard to write :

Hammer, in fact the above ebay ad also offers adaptors so they can be used in an SDS drill.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Certainly don't use hammer with diamond core drills, but carbide tipped ones are designed for hammer drills (either percussion or SDS).

Reply to
Andy Burns

they work much better & last much longer with hammer action.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It appears, more by luck than judgement, that I've been doing it right all these years then!

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
me

On this one though, in the description, it says, "Do not use with drills set in hammer action."

Now I'm confused!

Reply to
me

You can't adapt a non SDS drill bit to work as SDS. But you can use an SDS drill as a simple rotary one, with any type of bit you fancy. But rather pointless.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know the virgin bloke when he drilled through my wall, first drilled a litle way normally then went to hammer to power through. I'm assuming this was to make sure the hole did not drift before it was started and damage my precious wall cooating. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In the case of core drills you normally buy the arbour separately from the core, so can get normal hex shank or SDS fitting.

SDS tends to be lower rotation speed (typically 1000 rpm max) and higher torque. They normally have a clutch as well, which can make them well suited to the smaller (i.e. under 3") core bits IME.

Reply to
John Rumm

no - it save carting two drills asround. In my SDS drill case lives a standard chuck.

Reply to
charles

SDS is just the type of chuck on the end of the drill.

For example the first item will let you put SDS bits in a normal drill.

You can buy normal chucks to fit into an SDS chuck to do normal drill bits.

You may struggle to make an normal drill into a pneumatic percussion drill which most SDS equipped drills are.

Reply to
dennis