Replace Yale lock wothout a key

Its a funny subject is lockpicking, theres probably more myth than truth written about it. I'm not an expert at it but have picked a number of them, all quite legally. Honest. :) I dont follow the usual published advice, which seems more bragado than anything, as it takes some skill to use with any serious success rate, and there are easier ways. These are less glamorous, and no-one would make any money or ego-boosting out of telling people how..

The simplest foolproof way to open a euro is to drill it. A 5mm bit should open it in a minute or so. Its also worth trying any and all keys youve got, you might get lucky. I doubt its worth buying a picking set, not unless you want to take a significant interest in the subject.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

Not the clever sort with rolling bits and inset ballbearings etc.

Reply to
Guy King

Dave H.

easy to drill if you know what you are doing, could have some hardened pins but I doubt it. As someone suggested drilling a bloody great hole can only make it worse. There is another very quick but drastic way but you still need a wee bit know how.

Reply to
Scabbydug

and the other way is??

Reply to
KinRsole

and hardened mushroom pins etc - but most dont have those features.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

no-one really wants to say. If we do, there are more people that can break in to our houses. And then prosecute us when we boot them out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you can get access to the back of the lock barrel, you could push a curved piece of brass shim between the barrel and the hole it's in, at the side where the tumblers are. At the same time push the tumblers up one at a time with a hairclip until the shim slips past the tumbler. When the shim is right in, the whole tumbler can be removed. Careful of all the little springs that will then pop out. If you are very clever like me you can find an old key that goes into the barrel and move the tumblers around until that key works. :)

Reply to
Nick

Isn't snapping them with a mole wrench the lattest thing?

Reply to
marvelous