yale lock problem

If I shut my front door a bit too hard the lever inside the lock detaches and the locks `spins` and i have to break the lock to get in.

Does this mean I cut the lever too small?

It does just `sit` in place doesnt it? Or am I putting it in wrong. It doesnt seem to click into place or anything it just sits in the groove.

Because this has happened a few times the metal frame part that goes onto the inside of the door with the 2 screw holes has become distorted. Can I buy one of these new or do I need a whole new lock?

Cheers for any help!

Its the 60mm one 4th down on this page

Jim E

It sounds as though you have cut the operating bar too short. It does just slide into the slot, but it should also be able to go a fair way inside the lock. The easiest way to judge how much to cut off is to put the cylinder on the door, slide the lock over the bar until it stops, then measure the gap between the lock and the door. Cut that much, plus about a millimetre, off the end of the operating bar.

A proper locksmith may be able to sell you one.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar.me.uk>"

For at least some of these, the operating bar as described by Colin will unclip from the lock (the key-side) if you wiggle it correctly. So you might get away with changing the bar, not the whole lock. If it's just a standard Yale-type lock with a night-latch on the inside each "side" costs about a fiver from Screwfix or a decent hardware shop.

Reply to
newshound

What Colin says. On your lock the connecting bar can be really long without any problem, because any excess disappears into the handle.

Even a genuine Yale 1109 cylinder does not have a replacement mounting plate these days.

Just Ebay search for "rim cylinder" and pick one that has the mounting plate included. There are currently some ERA ones for 3.99. You can either change the cylinder or just use the plate.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Sounds like it to me. It wants to be a long as possible.

It just sits in place - as long as its long enough.

Not sure what you mean, but if its the flat metal pressing that the screws securing the front go through, then I'd just change the whole bloody thing.

Don't buy a cheap one, spend the £30 + on a proper Yale or ERA. The local Uni where I do the maintenance on the student halls has three accommodation blocks (8 locks per block) with el cheapo (£7 each) rim locks - the 'yoke' inside distorts with repeated use/slamming resulting in the door not latching properly. I change about three a month. The other three blocks (also 8 locks per block) have genuine Yales & I've never changed one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the help guys. The plate I need is the one on the back of the door which the actual latch attaches to. It has 2 lugs for the screws. It has nothing to do with the barrel so a new barrel is no use except it will give me the longer lock lever.

The part I need is for the actual housing of the lock on the inside.

Anyone know what this is called?

Reply to
Jim E

Yale are sending me one free.

Superb service!

Reply to
Jim E

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

Sadly, there are a lot of night latches sold under the Yale brand name which are absolute rubbish. I have a couple here which have been subjected only to minor domestic use and on which the thumb-slide has failed -- and been replaced by a bolt, couple of nuts and a couple of washers.

Reply to
Appin

locksmith will have any amount of these bits lying around, I would be happy to help you out for free if asked.

Reply to
Scabbydug

The biggest fallacy in Lock making is thee so called 'YALE CYLINDER LOCK' You have certainly cut the stock to short during installation ...’But hey’ do not be to hard on yourself...... This lock is probably thee worse lock ever designed…. Because fundamentally it is not 'fail- safe'. literally millions of people have locked themselves out of there premises for the very reason it is unpracticable with human Nature... 'IT LOCKS YOU OUT…..' ‘Unless you remember the key and thus the story ends…’ P.S. THERE IS A WAY TO PREVENT THIS HAPPENING....Change the 'Throw that's thee Brass quarter round bit which helps you lock yourself out' to a rectangular Throw, Some Lock smiths will do this for you Others in order to sell you a new one,' Will not' its quite amassing how this lock has been constantly reproduced throughout history from Etas, Swan, and even the Winfield, ‘The Woolworth's version’.…

Best thing you can do my friend is put a metal blank where your Yale is and fit 2 x Mortice type locks on your door One 3 feet from the top and one 3 feet from the bottom of the door that way you will never lock yourself out and also secure your house much much more, Good day my friend and Bless you, Del, Retired Locksmith

Reply to
NO LOCK CAN STOP ME

'YALE CYLINDER LOCK' is not a statement so can not be a fallacy

People have practices to work round that, some reasonable, some not.

so on top of each other on a 6' door? Why would you put 2 close together anyway?

Ah, finally a solution for losing your key? Or not.

It depends, I'd rather rely on a 5/6 pin yale than a 2 pin rimlock.

Given all the foolish statements I doubt it

Reply to
Animal

And with you method human nature says that 10s of millions of people will not lock their doors when just popping out, especially if not carrying a key on them (which includes all the people previously which would have been locked out for not carrying a key)

What's wrong with keeping the key under the nearest flower pot? :)

Reply to
alan_m

Why are you wasting your time replying to a post which itself is replying to a post in HOH made almost 13 years ago on 25 Jun 2009?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

There are Yale cylinder locks that have a passive catch behaviour unless they are explicitly locked or deadlocked from the outside when you leave the house. Then you have to remember to lock up.

Not all Yale cylinder locks are as primitive as Retired Locksmith thinks.

1/3 and 2/3 up the door would be about optimum.

Very little will stop someone who has the right expertise.

You can only slow them down by having more tumblers and a more precise mechanical mechanism with less play in it.

Letting people who lock themselves out back into their homes is good money for skilled locksmiths so I don't know why he is against them! (the incompetents drill their way in which isn't at all skilful)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Because it belongs under the mat?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I can do an emergency release from my phone. With 2FA, of course.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm more likely to go out without my phone than without my key.

Reply to
alan_m

Often flawed in design. Although the electronics may be sophisticated the lock itself has two wires to which power has to be applied and/or a simple on/off switch/soleniod controlled by the electronics. You don't even try and hack the electronics - you target the simple opening mechanism.

Reply to
alan_m

The rest of the family have phones, and they don't need to be near. (I opened the door when we were on holiday as son had locked himself out and forgotten his phone - he used neighbour's phone to call)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry should have said 2 feet from the top,Del.

Reply to
NO LOCK CAN STOP ME