uPVC door lock Q

Just had a mild panic when we thought one of our door keys had gone missing (now accounted for, so panic over).

Anyway, consumed with visions of having to change the lock/key, I googled for details, and found a wealth of videos ... it looks straightforward. I'm pleased I did, as I was completely unaware you could get thumbwheel versions - I have never liked the idea of needing a key to get *out*.

Anyway, this set me thinking. On old fashioned doors with a Yale lock, you could open from inside without a key - and now we can do that. However, you could also *lock* them without a key (as many embarrassed householders found to their cost !).

Are there any locks for uPVC doors which do this - can be locked without a key ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think something like this is what you're after:

"Euro lock thumb turn" would be the appropriate Google search term

(NB these locks come in different lengths for differemt doors)

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for that - I was wondering what the 35/35 35/40 meant.

However, the other thing I was idly thinking about was a uPVC door lock that you can close, and lock without the key. Like we used to in the old days ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

AFAIK not with a Euro Lock, where the locking principle also relies on bits moving vertically driven by the handle. This is for security because PVC door structures are not normally intrinsically as strong as wood.

Reply to
newshound

You can get a split spindle handle which won't let you back in without a key, but doesn't lock the handle in the "thrown" position so isn't very good for anything other than convenience.

Indeed as was pointed out to us when we fitted such, it can be a security issue if it means you forget to deadlock the handle...

Lee

Reply to
Lee