Reconfiguring uPVC front door

Hi,

The uPVC front door on my new (to me) house can be opened using the outside handle without a key unless the door has been previously locked. The last house I was in had a similar door, but the outside handle could never open the door: only the key could do that.

Can these doors be reconfigured for different behaviours?

Thanks

- Ian

Reply to
Ian Chard

The message from Ian Chard contains these words:

As far as I know, only by changing the latching mechanism. I looked into this with our doors and couldn't see a way to do it.

Reply to
Guy King

It is actually the metal bar that between the two handles that needs changing. You will have a solid bar so both handles are 'joined'. You need a bar that is jointed in the 'middle'. No idea what it is called or where to get one, however, the positon of the split is crucial, else you may not even be able to open the door!

Reply to
David P

Your local double glazing repair firm should be able to modify the locking mechanism.

Reply to
Codswallop

Presumably the 'joined' bar can be obtained from a 'locksmith' and changing it is a ten minute job at most.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

But wouldnt the external handle still moving but doing nothing seem a bit odd? I suppose the handle would need replacing too.

Reply to
marvelus

Matter of choice. There is no 'need'.

Reply to