upvc front door won't open or lock

Hi,

My uPVC front door suddenly won't open or lock. It is shut but does not feel properly closed (I can move it a little). The handle won't lift enough to lock it nor drop enough to open the door.

It's not under warranty. Can anyone give my some hints on how to open it or lock it?

Reply to
Mark

Angle grinder

Reply to
RW

SDS Drill ....

Seriously, use it (or something else) to vibrate the door near the point where the claws reach into the frame. You might make things wobble in the right direction while also puting pressure on the handle to open it.

Reply to
Adrian C

use a lever at the bottom of the door to lift on the lock side,if the door has dropped this will relieve any pressure on that side, allowing the mechanism to operate,the door may need heeling and toeing to realign the door.

remove door pins to get door out

all the above require a certain amount of knowledge about upvc systems and the type of locking system

Reply to
ALex

Mark coughed up some electrons that declared:

Do the locks operate correctly if the door's open? If so, either the hinges have dropped or one or more the the lock plates in the frame are out of adjustment.

Plates are easily reset if you can locate the one that catching. Never tried adjusting a hinge but probably a cap to take off to reveal a screw to tweak it - at least the ones I've seen.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

If it is not locked and will not open it sounds like the problem is around the handle to catch mechanism. Can you unscrew the handles and see whether there is anything broken or adrift. Might then be able to use a large screwdriver to move the catch mechanism. If you can get the door open at least you will be able to see what is moving or not when you operate the re-assembled handle.

If you can knock out the hinge pins it may be possible to remove the door but not if there are fixed bolts that locate into the hinge side of the door frame as it is closed

Reply to
Invisible Man

Thanks, this allowed me to open the door. Is there any online guides on how to realign this sort of door?

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
John