Fuse trips when I turn on the oven!

This doesn't happen EVERY time, but it does often enough (every few days) to be annoying. It cuts off the electricity to all the power sockets in the house, by tripping the main RCD (or whatever it is called). Lights unaffected. What should I do? Or call a sparks?

Reply to
Mikeyboy

Highly likely you need a new oven element. Sort it now especially if you are cooking a Christmas dinner!!

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Almost certainly you need to replace the oven element, it's usually a fairly simple job only needing a screwdriver. Just be very sure that you have isolated the cooker before you do it.

The insulation in oven elements often fails such that they trip the RCD, not seriously dangerous if your oven is properly earthed but will probably get worse so it trips the RCD *every* time you turn it on.

Reply to
tinnews

I had a similar scenario. Does it trip when the heating to the oven is switched on, and therefore likely to be the element, or when like mine it was just the oven light - ie first position on the oven switch in my case. Just to confuse everything, this wasn't the light that was faulty, but the fan motor, which didn't come on with the oven light but had the line switched through in the first position. One damnation of continental electrical design is that they tolerate using neutral switching to bring something up to power.

Whichever way, you're looking at for someone who does cookers, washing machines, etc rather than an electrician.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

As the others have said it certainly sounds like it's an element on the way out - which one (fan/conventional oven, grill etc) of course depends on at what point on the dial the trip occurs.

It's certainly a DIYable task - have a look at some of the videos as

to get a feeling what you'd be up against.

(I've never used the company but the fact they've produced the videos has got to be a good sign)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton