Modern keys...

I feel as if modern keys promote failure to ensure the successful locking of a door on *every* occasion.

I'm super vigilant of late but some years ago I was surprised how many times I was getting home to discover the front door wasn't actually locked. I can only presume it was down to that extra turn they need, which if you don't and further don't try the handle, fail.

Just had a new door on at work, it's a Yale lock, a stupid flat key that you can't distinguish which way around it is to ensure you get in the right way first time and it only comes out horizontal, which after you give it a good old turn, needs turning back on itself to get the frigging key out.

Reply to
R D S

Er...I have a 'flat' Yale key on the outside door, e.g on the porch. They work either way up (I've just checked).

The inner door has a traditional 'vertical' key. The key for this has to be vertical to get it out of the lock. I see no difference in principle between having to have the key vertical or having to have the key horizontal before it can be removed.

The only complaint I have about the flat keys is that I find it more difficult to get the key into the slot first time, compared with a traditional 'vertical' key.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Most euro locks will lock without turning the key, they need the extra turn to deadlock.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You just have to get used to it. It's your lack of familiarity that's the problem. I went through the same thing myself.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes absolute stupidity. there is a modern lock on my back gate that you cannot get the key out of unless you get it just right.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

All the same why change from a convention which everyone understood, to a weird convoluted system? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

The change from traditional to the flat type of key is to do with the ease with which the locks with traditional keys can be "picked" by people with no skill by using a device available cheaply on Ebay. It is debatable if a thief would bother with a lock rather than kicking in a door panel or smashing a window.

I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door. Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once the door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been required to dead lock it.

Other doors (back doors) may have locks of the type that do require the key to be used to lock it. Usually fitted so that you cannot accidentally lock yourself out just going into the garden.

Reply to
alan_m

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on closing. All require a key.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

+2

All my outer doors are double glazed PVC units with a modern locking systems. Close the door; lift the handle to engage the several locking points; turn the key one revolution; remove the key. No extra turn or dead-locking. Older doors, with a single mortise lock or whatever, might be different I suppose.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Chris Hogg snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Ours too. However, the locksmith was pretty disparaging about the lock security when I went for some extra keys.

Apparently the insert can be snapped easily and the lock operated with simple tools.

For a modest sum he was keen to offer a d-i-y fittable version. On the to do list....

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ours sound similar - but all keys have a number of tiny magnets which, apparently, makes them more difficult to pick.

I just wish they were keyed-alike instead of having four different patterns...

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Indeed. That type of lock is called a "night latch" (

). When we had an old wooden front door changed to PVC, the company fitted a "non-night latch" door which required a key to lock. We hated it and got a night latch fitted (a strangely awkward change as the handle mechanism for night latch locks was in a different place!).

Same here.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

You can do the job yourself in less than 5 minutes if it's a eurolock you want to replace. I changed all our eurolocks to high-security anti-snap locks here. As they were bought at different times, we have different keys, although it is possible to have the same key for all the locks. I bought them here:

The service was excellent and they were very helpful.

These locks aren't cheap, but the money you save by fitting them yourself will help with the cost.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Quite! Two exterior doors supplied and fitted by the same company.... different keys!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Live on your own, then? Or just don't care about other's safety?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It may come as a surprise to you but in many parts of the country we don?t feel the need to have locked doors when we?re in the house.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Or often when we are out either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We rarely lock ours when we're out of the house!

Reply to
Chris Green

I wonder whether your insurance company would pay out on any claim.

Reply to
charles