Cleaning Piano Keys

Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano keys? Warm soapy water didn't work. Thanks

Reply to
Michael

When you called Crayola, they couldn't offer a solution? That's surprising. It seems other people must've run into similar problems before.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If they're invisible, how do you know they are there?

Reply to
Jimbo

Try bleach. Test a small area first to see how it reacts. I use it diluted by 50% on kitchen counters and full strenght in the toilet bowl. Does wonders for stains at least for me.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

I would try a pressure washer.

Reply to
Ron

Use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They are wonderful things!

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Gas or electric?

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Either.

Reply to
Ron

As I'm sure you know, ivory is pretty delicate when it comes to cleaning. Try white toothpaste on a soft, damp cloth, carefully. I've heard of people using Bon Ami, but I'd double that "carefully" if trying that. Also, they can be professionally cleaned, if it comes to that.

Reply to
Jo Ann

Ok I have an industrial pressure washer run off a Kuboto diesel. Develops about 10000 psi at the tip. No doubt that would do the job huh?

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

For something like this I'd start with the most gentle technique then get more agressive if the stain persists.

First try a poultice of baking soda and water for 24 hours under saran wrap.

If no success then try making a poultice out of baking soda and peroxide or diatomacious earth and peroxide (12% solution) to the consistency of peanut butter.

If no luck try mineral spirits on a WHITE paper towel under saran wrap for 24 hours.

If no luck try same with acetone.

For all of the above put a 1/4 inch thick pile of (either WHITE paper towel or baking soda medium or diatomacious earth medium) over the key then seal it with saran wrap to prevent evaporation, let it sit 24 hours, if you are lucky it will leach the stain out of the ivory. If the stain did not disappear fully, but did disappear a little, then repeat.

I'd try bleach last though.

Reply to
RickH

The purpose of a poultice is to leach the stain out of the ivory, it cant be scrubbed off, ivory is porous.

Reply to
RickH

On 7/7/2010 2:07 PM Jo Ann spake thus:

Even though the O.P. said "ivory", most piano keys (white keys) aren't actually ivory any more. Endangered species and all that. They're most likely some form of "ivoroid", an ivory-looking plastic, unless it's an antique Steinway or something.

Actually, ivory is probably less "delicate" than plastic when it comes to cleaning. It's not going to melt away with solvents like acetone like most plastics will. It's also harder and will resist scratching better.

Common sense dictates avoiding any kind of abrasive cleaner, which would rule out Bon Ami. Since the markers may be solvent-based, I'd suggest the following, carefully and sparingly applied with a cotton swab:

o Paint thinner or naphtha (*not* acetone or lacquer thinner!) o A strong soap, like concentrated Simple Green, dish soap or equivalent o Denatured alcohol

Test a small patch, perhaps on an end key, to make sure it doesn't stain the keys.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 7/7/2010 3:29 PM RickH spake thus:

[...]

Except that as I pointed out elsewhere here, the keys probably are not actually ivory but some kind of plastic instead, unless it's an old or valuable instrument. Most piano makers stopped using ivory quite some time ago.

Acetone is generally not kind to plastics. (Great cleaner otherwise.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Crayola has an 800 number and email addy here:

norminn

Bleach will disolve ivory.

try an alcohol-soaked cotton swab or rag

Reply to
zaax

Usually to remove a discoloration or stain, you use a solvent close in chemical composition to the staining agent.

In this case, crayons are made of wax, so I'd try something in the mineral spirits, Kerosene, etc., line rather than alcohols, bleaches, turpentine, and solvents based on other chemicals.

And unless the piano is more than about fifty years old, the keys aren't ivory.

Reply to
HeyBub

Read OP again...."Crayola Invisible Marker". :o)

Reply to
norminn

Hi, Sure it is real ivory? If so must be very old piano. I'd try steaming towel(microwave wet towel) to wipe it off.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

----------------------------------------------------- If the keys are plastic a swab moistened with a little WD40 may do it. The janitor where I used to work removed all kind of marks, tape, and paint off of plastic counter tops with it.

Test a small out of the way area first.

Freckles

Freckles