Irn-Bru stain removal?

Anyone know the best way to remove a dried-in Irn-Bru stain from a rug?

Tried the old soap and hot water, didn't work.

Cheers.

Reply to
DerekR

Its made from girders, isn't it?

You'll probably need one of the stain shifters that works with ferrous oxides.

IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes

Ok, doesen't help but the main colorants are Sunset Yellow and Ponceau, which is a "... red synthetic coal tar and azo dye"

Hmm, good luck in trying to remove that stain then :-(

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

Actually, Ponceau S (if thats what it is) is used quite a lot in molecular biology labs because it is an easily _reversible_ protein stain. Just washes out in water. Slightly acidic works better. And it may stain rugs better than it stains proteins... Don't know about the Sunset Yellow though!

David

Reply to
David Micklem

It's Ponceau 4R, but it's been years since I did organic chemistry, so I wouldn't have a clue if that makes a difference :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

Oh well, me neither. As it happens I have an Irn-Bru stain of my own - carefully dried in by an otherwise excellent lodger several _years_ ago. I might have a stab at it with vinegary water just in case its similar enough to Ponceau S.

David

Reply to
David Micklem

Have you tried contacting the manufacturers of the drink and asking them? I'm sure they must get asked this loads of times...

Reply to
shaun

Or google, it's been asked before.

Jc,.