what depth support for decking?

I inted to lay decking over a tatty concrete area at side of house. What is the minimum depth of joist to use? I want to keep the increase in floor height to a minimum. Would I get away with something like 2 x 2 inch joists laid on thin roof slates to raise and level them over the concrete like this....

====================== deck board [ ] 16in [ ] 16in [ ] 2 inch joists == == == slate / tile leveller /////////////////////////////////////////////////// concrete base

or is this a recipe for a quick (though short) descent?

TIA ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

I built a ground level deck a few months ago with 2x3" joists. Its fine. I reckon I could have got away with 2x2" I see also that the pre-cut decking kits that B&Q and Wickes sell use

70x70mm frames
Reply to
BillR