Silestone burnt stain

My wife accidentally had put a hot pot from the burner to the countertop an d immediately saw what she did and removed it, but it left a partial 'burnt ' bottom on it. I tried to remove the stain with some bleach and water mix ed, then just bleach and finally a Brillo soap pad...all with no luck. I ev en used the Bars Keeper Friend. Its just a stain, not a penetration. Anyone here have other suggestions how to get rid of that stain? Thanks

Reply to
Joe

A pro can buff it out and reseal the surface with new plastic. I have had zero luck simply polishing this without adding new material to fill around the exposed aggregate. I can make it better but there will always be a smudge.

Reply to
gfretwell

Silestone appears to be sold with a 25 year guarantee. So my advice is call them up.

Our Corian suffered a major crack. The company came out and fixed it free of charge. So DIY is not really the way to go with these things. If you have a guarantee, use it.

Reply to
Dan Espen

and immediately saw what she did and removed it, but it left a partial 'bu rnt' bottom on it. I tried to remove the stain with some bleach and water mixed, then just bleach and finally a Brillo soap pad...all with no luck. I even used the Bars Keeper Friend. Its just a stain, not a penetration. Any one here have other suggestions how to get rid of that stain? Thanks

My C. T. does not have a sealer...the salespeople said its one of the type that you don't seal..its not porous.

Reply to
Joe

Does the Silestone company give the warranty or the seller? I don't recall. Its been over 5 years ago..Its not porous so a seal is not necessary, said the salesman.

Reply to
Joe

Begin by filing for divorce.

Then cover the counter with peel and press vinyl tiles.

Reply to
edward3

I think youre going to find that a guarantee from anyone isn't foing to cover setting a hot pot on it and screwing up the surface.

It doesn't matter that it is non-porous and doesn't need a sealer. it is plastic and has been burned. Ir will have to be sanded out and repolished. You need a pro,

Reply to
dadiOH

This is not a sealer in the sense of sealing granite but they do use some of the plastic binder when they finish buffed out spots. I have a bunch of this stuff I got from a remodeled commercial bar and when you cut it or have to bring back that finish, simply polishing like granite is pretty unrewarding. I have done lots of granite here.

As I said at the top of this thread, call a pro, they have the right stuff to fix it,

Reply to
gfretwell

Just call them. That's all I did. My contractor bought the Corian. I didn't have any paper work. When I called Corian, they knew me by name.

Reply to
Dan Espen

In my case, we cracked the counter by placing the microwave on the counter and cooking a turkey. Corian wasn't interested in how it broke, they just fixed it. Now the microwave sits on a cutting board.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Who do you consider a Pro in this situation. I called the The fabricator and they said right away, without even asking how bad of a burn i created with the accident..."You have to buy a new countertop" Plus, warranty does not carry for burns and the like.".

Reply to
Joe

I did call this morning Jan 9th and they told me that the guarantee does not cover burns and its like...

Reply to
Joe

OK, so once you found out that you are on the hook for the repair cost, did you ask them if/how it can be fixed?

Did you ask for advice or did you just ask about the warranty?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I would call another guy who does that product. I believe Silestone is what is generically called "quartz" and one of the selling points was that it could be repaired. This is far from my favorite counter surface so I am not here to defend it. Basically this is sand and plastic binder and there is a way to reconstitute it that involves adding more binder and buffing it out but I am not sure that wound will ever totally disappear. As I said I have a bunch of it here in my materials pile and I have worked with it a bit but so far I have not been able to duplicate the factory finish on cut edges. Granite is a whole lot easier to work.

Reply to
gfretwell

Seems to have a lot of exceptions. Sort of like a 25 year warranty on a car as long as you don't drive it.

Ed Pawlowski

Well, bad for them. Here we are on the all pervasive Internet and we all see a good reason to choose Corian over Silestone.

You still need a pro for repairs so, I guess you have to call them back for a lead on repairs.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I have examples of all 5 basic counter surfaces Mica on table tops and a counter in my shop Corian on my work bench in the garage Quartz in the outdoor kitchen Granite in the 2 outside bars Maple in the main kitchen. I actually prefer the Maple but it might just be me. I am 10 years in and I have not needed to refinish it but it will be trivial when I do. Glasses do not break when you drop them like they do on granite and quartz. It is as scratch resistant as Corian with the poly finish and it does not delaminate like mica can.

Reply to
gfretwell

I went through this only about two years after buying silestone countertop that chipped when a heavy glass hit it - I tried contacting Silestone but they told me to talk to dealer who claimed no responsibility - I went around in circles for a long ng time and eventually the dealer sent someone who would not replace the Silestone but did some questionable patching which as since washed away

Reply to
Chipped & patched