My wife accidentally had put a hot pot from the burner to the countertop an
d immediately saw what she did and removed it, but it left a partial 'burnt
' bottom on it. I tried to remove the stain with some bleach and water mix
ed, then just bleach and finally a Brillo soap pad...all with no luck. I ev
en used the Bars Keeper Friend. Its just a stain, not a penetration. Anyone
here have other suggestions how to get rid of that stain? Thanks
A pro can buff it out and reseal the surface with new plastic. I have
had zero luck simply polishing this without adding new material to
fill around the exposed aggregate. I can make it better but there will
always be a smudge.
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 2:37:49 PM UTC-5, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
and immediately saw what she did and removed it, but it left a partial 'bu
rnt' bottom on it. I tried to remove the stain with some bleach and water
mixed, then just bleach and finally a Brillo soap pad...all with no luck. I
even used the Bars Keeper Friend. Its just a stain, not a penetration. Any
one here have other suggestions how to get rid of that stain? Thanks
My C. T. does not have a sealer...the salespeople said its one of the type
that you don't seal..its not porous.
This is not a sealer in the sense of sealing granite but they do use
some of the plastic binder when they finish buffed out spots.
I have a bunch of this stuff I got from a remodeled commercial bar and
when you cut it or have to bring back that finish, simply polishing
like granite is pretty unrewarding. I have done lots of granite here.
As I said at the top of this thread, call a pro, they have the right
stuff to fix it,
Who do you consider a Pro in this situation. I called the The fabricator
and they said right away, without even asking how bad of a burn i created
with the accident..."You have to buy a new countertop" Plus, warranty does
not carry for burns and the like.".
I would call another guy who does that product. I believe Silestone is
what is generically called "quartz" and one of the selling points was
that it could be repaired. This is far from my favorite counter
surface so I am not here to defend it. Basically this is sand and
plastic binder and there is a way to reconstitute it that involves
adding more binder and buffing it out but I am not sure that wound
will ever totally disappear.
As I said I have a bunch of it here in my materials pile and I have
worked with it a bit but so far I have not been able to duplicate the
factory finish on cut edges.
Granite is a whole lot easier to work.
Silestone appears to be sold with a 25 year guarantee.
So my advice is call them up.
Our Corian suffered a major crack.
The company came out and fixed it free of charge.
So DIY is not really the way to go with these things.
If you have a guarantee, use it.
I think youre going to find that a guarantee from anyone isn't foing to
cover setting a hot pot on it and screwing up the surface.
It doesn't matter that it is non-porous and doesn't need a sealer. it is
plastic and has been burned. Ir will have to be sanded out and repolished.
You need a pro,
In my case, we cracked the counter by placing the microwave on the
counter and cooking a turkey.
Corian wasn't interested in how it broke, they just fixed it.
Now the microwave sits on a cutting board.
Seems to have a lot of exceptions. Sort of like a 25 year warranty on a
car as long as you don't drive it.
Well, bad for them. Here we are on the all pervasive Internet and
we all see a good reason to choose Corian over Silestone.
You still need a pro for repairs so, I guess you have to call them back
for a lead on repairs.
I have examples of all 5 basic counter surfaces
Mica on table tops and a counter in my shop
Corian on my work bench in the garage
Quartz in the outdoor kitchen
Granite in the 2 outside bars
Maple in the main kitchen.
I actually prefer the Maple but it might just be me.
I am 10 years in and I have not needed to refinish it but it will be
trivial when I do. Glasses do not break when you drop them like they
do on granite and quartz. It is as scratch resistant as Corian with
the poly finish and it does not delaminate like mica can.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.