Modern keys...

Exactly. A latch to close it and a lock to comply with insurance when out.

My postman will, if there is a parcel that doesn't need signing for, drop it inside the kitchen door if I am asleep.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You are allowed to have a spring operated latch (nightlatch) only, if it meets BS3621.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh dear. You have totally missed the point. The latch does not have to meet anything because the Chubb lock meets BS3261.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Read it again. The comma is after "only"; meaning the nightllatch would be the

*only lock". In which case as stated, it would need to meet BS3621

If the comma had instead been after nighlatch, then indeed the statement would have been incorrect as it stood; as quite possibly as you pointed out there may have been another lock which already met BS3621.

However it wasn't after "nightlatch" but after "only", and so you're wrong.

Not that its any big deal as you should be well used to it by now.

michael adams

michael adams

It's too complicated for me too, FWIW!

Where i've wanted a night latch type of lock i've used rollerbolt types, can't lock yerself out but can easily lock the door behind you when you're in.

Reply to
R D S

He's bloody right!

It must be a bit crunchy with being new, or some crap got in there (some rendering repair was done after the fit) and i'd convinced myself it would only go in one way.

So, a bit less of a faff but i'm still not convinced!

First world problems though, eh?

Reply to
R D S

Who's to say I haven't made that sort of arrangement? But I'd rather not be seen clawing at the mud with my bare hands in a dressing gown, just because I nipped out to get something from the car and the wind blew the door shut ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

snipped-for-privacy@news.>>>>> Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

No, you have missed the point. But never mind.

Is it a flexible PVC Chubb lock?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've never seen a chubb lock made out of flexible PVC. Have you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, but you mentioned BS3261 so I thiught that you must have.

Reply to
Bob Eager

But this whole sub-thread is about *avoiding* night latches because of their inconvenient habit of locking one out. It started from the premise that a night latch was a common solution.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Must be. I've never locked myself out.

Good grief.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How many front doors have those?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Once. In 1969. And it was a B&B, so I just had to ring the bell.

Highly insecure. I suppose you could leave a key with a 'trusted' neighbour and have them come and snoop.

(I think we are rare exceptions.)

Reply to
Max Demian

So take it off then ;-)

In 33 years I have only once locked myself out.

One morning I decided to save a bit of time and taking 2 bags of rubbish out while leaving for work, the keys were on the inside as I'd unlocked the door, as I walked through the door my coat pocket got snagged on the door handle pulling it closed behind me, leaving my keys on the inside. I left for work then after work called in at my parents to get the spare set, that was about 10 years ago. After that I have never crossed the door threshold without my keys in my hand or pocket or pushing the handle up which latches the door so it won't close.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I prefer to leave one with trusted friends. I tend not to leave my house just wearing a dressing gown either.

Once a friend was delayed from holiday due to something sop was a day late so she asked me to go and feed the cats, which I could only do because I have her spare key and she has one of mine. We live about 15mins walk from each other.

I wouldn't leave a key with a neighbour because if someone broke in to theirs and they find a key, they might assume and try the key in 'next door' just in case.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Mine for one. I do not like night latches.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

All six of mine.

Front rear and sides.

They are all what it appears are called '5 lever sash locks'

BS3621 standard

All self latching but not self locking.

Last one out goes round and checks they are all locked

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You'd normally swap keys with that trusted neighbour. So it would apply both ways. Perhaps you could get them in to water the cannabis plants when you're away?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You have 6 front doors, eh?

Thought you were odd.