Difficult-to-get keys

I bought a padlock from eBay to secure my gates. It is a lock aimed at securing chains on motorcycles. I bought it because it is the right shape and size rather than for anything else, but it is a SoldSecure one.

However, I want to get some additional keys cut, and it came without any key code information and the vendor has not (yet) responded to my query. A couple of key-cutting places have said they cannot do it.

The item is .

For those not following the link, the branding is the word REAL above a circle inscribed with a straight square, itself inscribed with another square at 45 degrees. It also bears the text RL-8800 PAT S.S TOP SECURITY.

I have drawn a blank on finding any info on the manufacturer, so it is proving difficult to find out how I get additional keys. I didn't manage to get to my usual, helpful locksmith this weekend so I know not if he can help.

Any thoughts?

Pete

Reply to
Peter Riocreux

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Peter Riocreux saying something like:

Never heard of them and you'll be lucky. Probably a Chinese one.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

ViewItem&rd=1&item=260336333887&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016#ebayphotohosting>.

Have you checked on the SoldSecure website?

If it ain't there, are you *sure* it really is SoldSecure? (Of course, if could have been listed when you bought it but not now. No idea what happens when products are delisted.) That has manufacturer contact details.

Reply to
Rod

ViewItem&rd=1&item=260336333887&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016#ebayphotohosting>.

By googling the model number (RL-8800) it appears they are from Taiwan

may be able to get additional keys from them.

Are the no numbers on the keys, that would identify their pattern?

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

At the Uni where I work a day a week, all the window locks have keys marked SoldSecure. 200+ student flats + landings so there must be 300 windows with this brand of key, so I'm guessing it must be a known available brand of lock.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sold Secure is just a test this lock has passed, it's not the make!

Toby

ebayphotohosting>.

A good thought. I am enquiring of SoldSecure as I cannot see it, but on looking at the ad again it claims it was certified in 2002.

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Riocreux

Have a look at these guys -

known them for years and can do most stuff.

Reply to
Buzby

This lock is 100% genuine sold secure and was certified and approved in 2001.

This chap "pete" has never called us to resolve this slanderous claim that this lock is not certified.

Peter you need to get the facts straight and respond to the numerous requests.

I provided the PDF link from sold secure of when it was tested and approved Gold Standard.

url:

Gavin

Wow, now there's customer service for you. A customer has a genuine problem with the product, asks perfectly reasonable questions without disparaging the seller, then you stalk them onto Usenet and accuse them of slander!

Remind me _never_ to buy anything from "KWFM Motorcycle Parts/ Accessories" on eBay!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I don't see that he ever made any such claim (at least, not in public).

That's the sort of eBay seller I hope I never deal with (and to date, I'm pleased to say I never have). I wouldn't respond to anything phrased in that tone either.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've only ever had one. And a deeply unpleasant experience it was, too. I shall never buy a laptop on eBay ever again.

Reply to
Huge