removing moss

I'm looking for something that can get rid of moss from slabs/small stones etc from the back garden. At the moment it's like a building site, and there are no plants or grass that can be killed by chemicals. I will use a pressure washer where I can but looking for something that can be poured over large areas. I once heard that dishwasher powder does this, anybody heard of this?

Reply to
Craig

Lawn sand or moss-killer from a garden centre maybe?

mark b

Reply to
mark b

You might try posting to uk.rec.gardening. Very knowledgeable folk there and generally quite friendly. HTH ps. I wouldn't mention the dishwasher powder!

Reply to
Nick

Thanks, I actually did feel like a bit of a prat as I was writing it:-)

Reply to
Craig

Jeyes Fluid or bleach solution

Reply to
keng

Brick acid and a pressure washer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We have severe problems with moss on tarmacadam drive this year. Last week I tried an experiment. Jeyse Fluid 125ml in 5L as recommended and applied from a watering can. Then a 20% solution (Not 10% as I tried before), of Tesco's finest household bleach, applied in a smiliar fashion.

Both killed the moss but I think the bleach was more effective. It appears to have killed a wider swathe than the Jeyes Fluid.

In both cases the dead moss will have to be brushed or power washed away.

On the above basis I will today try the 20% bleach solution in a pressure spray as I find applying from a watering can to be very wasteful. ( I had previously tried the same strength Jeyes Fluid but 10% bleach solution in a pressure sprayer but it was not very effective.)The

10L of mix should go considerably further, cutting down on not only the cost but the time taken to mix and fill.

This time next week should tell the full story.

Incidentally, whilst I don't mind the small of Jeyes Fluid SWMBO detests it. Depending on ones attitude this could be a plus or a minus point for it ;-)

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann