Evergreen moss kiler/lawn food

Dear All

I used up a whole bucket of Evergreen for my back garden (as instructed by the direction, and in right conditions), in an attempt to kill off the moss in my garden lawn.

I can hardly see any difference in the lawn, no blackening of the moss or anything. Anyone has experience of using Evergreen.

Any other better ideas to weed out all those moss in my lawn.

ADVthanksANCE!!

Reply to
Pete Lodd

You might get more pertinent replies in a gardening NG. However, I like your signoff.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

You need either a spring tine rake or a scarifier attachment to your lawn mower. If you go for the rake, you need a strong one, and it's hard work. The thin flimsy things you see in the budget shops can't handle it.

BTDT :-((

Anyway, see you in uk.rec.gardening?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Yup. He's there now.

Reply to
shazzbat

Moss on lawns is caused by poor drainage - just removing the existing moss wont solve the underlying problem; the lawn needs proper aeration or the moss will soon return.

I'd therefore recommend you first kill the existing moss cheaply by applying ready made lawn sand - which contains ferrous sulphate. Even cheaper, buy a couple of bags of ferrous sulphate from any garden centre (light green powder) and dissolve approx one cupful to a watering can of tepid water and water it sparingly covering the whole lawn. This will kill the moss within

15 minutes turning the moss black and making the grass a bit darker green. If the 1st application does not do this then repeat until it does. The lawn will soon recover its usual green colour as the remaining ferrous sulphate washes away

After that hire an electric lawn scarifier (hand scarifiers are much too much like hard work) and use it to clear the lawn of dead moss and old grass thatch - you will be amazed how much it will collect so have several strong garden waste bags handy to dispose of it all. ( Do NOT try to compost this waste) Finally also hire a plug type aerator to take slim plugs of earth from all over the lawn every few inches and thus improve the drainage. The experts also recommend that you fill these holes with sharp sand to keep the air holes open.

Next spring you should be rewarded with a lush green and fairly moss free lawn.

Pain in the proverbial I know, but short of replacing the whole lawn and drainage system, its the only way to get rid of moss and keep it at bay.

Hope this helps

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Many thanks Alan, for your informative reply.

Will certainly get it a go.

Pete Lodd