What is this infesting my lawn

Any ideas what this is getting into my lawn. It started last summer and it really took hold this spring (northern Ohio). Weed killer has been no help. Kinda looks like a very coarse grass but crab grass preventer does not affect it. How to kill this stuff without replanting the whole lawn?

dh

Hi DH.

It looks like a ryegrass of some sort, possibly an annual. You will notice rye more now in N Ohio since we've had a cool spring. The bluegrass hasn't really woke up yet due to low soil temperature.

Look at it again in July and see if it's so noticeable. Crabgrass preventer won't touch it this time of year btw.

Reply to
Steveo