Re: B&Q self checkout machines

That's why the ones with the belts are progressively being withdrawn, and replaced with self-checkouts that have much larger bagging scales. They can easily take a trolley load of groceries in bags.

The ones with belts have not proved popular. In many Tesco stores, the staff are trained to encourage customers to use them; this is necessary because people would rather queue for the self-checkouts with bagging scales. They are also much harder for the staff to observe/supervise, which is important when trying to reduce fraud. Finally, they are less reliable because detritus accumulates in the belt mechanisms. The debris causes the weighing scales (under the first belt) to become inaccurate quite quickly, which means the checkout has to be taken out of service and a service engineer called.

Reply to
Bruce

Reading? Leighton Buzzard? Northampton? Rushden? Ashford (Kent)?

That's just a few off the top of my head. I feel sure that there must be quite a few more.

Sad, isn't it?

Reply to
Bruce

Latex gloves?

Reply to
Bruce

I cannot imagine how my mind could have taken that route. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

The Portswood branch in Southampton.

OK, "chav" is probably unfair, but the area certainly isn't noted as home to the stereotypical Waitrose shopper. Mostly Eastern European immigrants and students; more than half the houses on my road are HMOs. I quite like living here, but the Waitrose always seemed a bit out of place.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Mine started doing that a while ago. Lately I've been buying trolleyfuls of things, so not needed a bag. But then yesterday I bought a pile of electrical bits and bobs[1] and was resigned to bundling them all up in my arms - but the yoof on the till bagged them all up for me while the card machine was doing its thing. Dunno if they've changed their policy or he'd simply been insufficiently brainwashed; hopefully the former.

Pete

[1] distress purchase; the difference between their prices and TLC's is staggering in some areas.
Reply to
Pete Verdon

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:51:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" had this to say:

Newcastle (upon Tyne).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I believe that this is an area IBM is actively working on[1]. As I understand it, a big part of the difficulty is with responses interfering with each other when you excite a whole basket's worth of tags at once. That and shiny foil crisp packets.

This is really just a subset of the "detecting items after you've bought them" problem. Not surprisingly, people (myself included) don't like the idea that a scanner could be pointed at them in the street and report on every item in their possession[2]. It doesn't take too big a tabloid leap to characterise this as remote secret frisking. So there's clearly a need for "one-shot" tags that are neutralised when the goods are sold. These exist at present in the form of tags with their aerials in perforated "wings" that get snapped off at the checkout, but that doesn't really work for the "walk through an arch and get billed for what you're carrying" model. Presumably you could fry the chips with a strong enough transmission, but that's going to either (a) fry the customers too or (b) be harmless to the customers but cause no end of PR damage as they *think* they're being fried.

Pete

[1] I should point out that *I'm* not working on it, and have no special insight in this area. [2] If it's the kind of item that today would carry a barcode, obviously. But that covers pretty much anything you buy in a shop.
Reply to
Pete Verdon

I only noticed it at the weekend. There's a stand in the middle between the checkouts holding the bags, and a notice bags 5p each. Presumably the bags are bar-coded and you're supposed to scan them. They probably make enough profit out of the honest people who do scan them to compensate for the ones who don't bother, or don't even notice the price, and members of staff being helpful.

I've just opened a set of B&Q taps bought ages ago which still have half the moulding sand - or something similar - blocking up the internals. I bought them so long ago I can't find the receipt so I'll have to schlep down there at the weekend check out a good pair, buy them and then return the duff ones with the receipt. Knowing B&Q they probably won't have any in stock, or will have reduced them by 50% in the meantime, or any they do have in stock will also be rubbish.

michael adams

michael adams

That must be new. The only one North of York /was/ at Durham, but closed recently.

Reply to
<me9

That was one of the reasons I had so many problems with them. Here in Australia reusable canvas bags are sold everywhere and the self service tills have an 'own bag' button which you press once you've put your bag over the hook. There's also a 'start new bag' button if you're going to fill more than one.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Cheadle Hulme is about a mile from Adswood.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

And in a few days it will be Glasgow Byres Road (assuming above is correct).

The only problem in finding branches reachable from chav areas is identifying those areas. I'd always thought of Bluewater as pretty chavvy. Is Ashford such a non-chav place? As for Oxford & South Mimms motorway services...

Reply to
Rod

You classify all of Newcastle as a chav area?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bag everything up before paying. Otherwise the daft checkout droid starts scanning the next shopper's items and they get mixed up with mine.

Automated checkouts don't seem to have reached us in the country yet.

Reply to
Mark

Add to this web pages that are hardcoded for an ultra wide screen so you get unnecessary horizontal scroll bars when allowing the text to wrap would be much better.

Reply to
Mark

Perhaps I'm oversensitive about it having worked at an independent family greengrocers for years when younger.

Reply to
Clot

Mine is.

(You get a clue that you've just moved to a chav area when going to register for council tax, the first question is "what benefits are you on?" and the second question is "are you sure you're not on any benefits?", I kid you not, I was lost for words!)

tim

Reply to
tim....

Um, no it doesn't (some people can be really slow at unloading their trolley)

tim

Reply to
tim....

Are there any places left that don't?