Re: B&Q self checkout machines

On Oct 26, 6:30pm, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Same here :-)
The scales need a high level C-shaped hoop, say at 1.5m. That way the bulk of the weight of long yet light items is maintained downwards onto the scale, not "lost" by falling onto the framework... or distributing themselves all over the floor.

M&S and Asda machines work ok on light items like diet hot-choc (22g?) if you drop them into a bag, but not if you drop them onto a loose bag which cushions their impact (not registered).
The B&Q units appear more industrial. I wonder if their scales are capable of weighing heavier items at the expense of precision - such as every 50g instead of every 1g like supermarkets. That might not help discrimination of light objects.
The most laughable part of B&Q is "take your items ... ... ... <delay> ... ... do not forget your receipt". I can not help thinking it would be more logical to say "please wait for your receipt before taking your items".
Ah, usability... that post production & commissioning process :-)
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:42:20 -0700 (PDT), geraldthehamster wrote:

Quite agree. After the dreadful experiences of trying to use the ones in Tesco I just refuse to use them anywhere. They are just so slow, I'd rather spend the time in a checkout queue relaxed and day dreaming than getting annoyed at a machine that can't keep up or just takes too long to respond to each item scanned.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Its not so much the machines as the complete planks who try to use them causing huge clues. The ones in our local Morrisons work almost 100% properly, its the thicko's who use them.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Wish I had a clue sometimes :-)
mark

I don't agree.
The ones in Tesco don't work well, and as someone who's day job is similar products, I can see exactly what is wrong with them (rather than with me!)
tim
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:41:56 -0000 Tim.... wrote :

When I lived in the UK the ones at Tesco Teddington reduced me to anger more than once - often late at night there would be no manned tills. Here the ones in my local Safeway work fine and are a good way of reducing a large ex-ATM note to smaller notes or getting rid of loads of coin, in either case without the embarrassment of tending same to a hard pressed checkout operator.
--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Tesco's are rubbish if you want to use your own bags.
the B&Q ones - the technique is to stuff up the first item and get the girl to come and assist you with the rest of it.
--
http://www.halloweenfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Not strictly on topic, but at B&Q a few years ago I piled a load of shopping to be scanned, with the third item being some paint remover or white spirit, thus requiring confirmation that I was indeed over 18. The spotty youth putting the products through didn't notice the prompt on screen, and I think the other items beeped through. I think I saved close to 60.
I had the kids with me, so paid without too much thought to how much it all cost, only to realise when I got home that a large amount of the items simply hadn't been charged for as he hadn't confirmed the prompt on screen.
I considered myself blameless - their mistake. Had I noticed at the time I suspect I would have had a moral problem with not telling him his mistake.
Matt

I don't find them too bad at all. But what does bug me is how difficult they make it for you to re-use your own bags.
The planks who decide to put a trolleyful of shopping through a basket-only self checkout really piss me off!
JW

Both the Tesco and Sainsbury ones round here are fine.
--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:39:28 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

What's the alleged advantage of an automated checkout? Clearly it does away with a humanoid (although they still need to be such around for, say, alcohol purchases). In RL they seem to be much slower than a checkout manned by real people. Is it just that most purchasers hate the idea of having to speak to a real life human cashier? If so, that's very sad.
--
Frank Erskine

On 27/10/09 01:23, Frank Erskine wrote:

What they need is faster humans, such as the ones in Aldi, who are equipped with tills designed to be fast, rather than pretty.
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:27:40 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Or Waitrose, where there are actual human beings of some intelligence on the tills.
--
Peter.
wibbled on Tuesday 27 October 2009 13:42

I notice that both my local Waitroses (Tonbridge and Paddock Wood) always seem to have the same faces around, even after umpteen years - and we're not talking the older generation either. And nothing's too much trouble for them.
Says something about them, if they can attract, train and retain a good calibre of staff.
--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:59:23 +0000, Tim W wrote:

Probably depends when you normally go shopping. I see the same faces in our Tesco midweek daytime but go in later/earlier/weekend it's all "young things".
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:59:23 +0000, Tim W wrote:

They are 'partners' (or summat), so the better they do the bigger the share. Some of the cust. service and so-on are wives of solicitors, accountants etc. who prefer to work rather than be at home.
--
Peter.

The big difference between Waitrose and the rest (ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons etc.) is that Waitrose attracts a better class of shopper.
Not having to deal with chavs and other assorted scum can only make it easier for Waitrose staff to be pleasant, polite, helpful and - dare I say it - probably a lot happier in their jobs.
And no, I'm not being a snob, because I shop mainly in Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons - my town doesn't have a Waitrose.

Can you name a Waitrose within easy reach of a 'chav' area?

Oh dear. ;-)
--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:51:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Reading? Leighton Buzzard? Northampton? Rushden? Ashford (Kent)?
That's just a few off the top of my head. I feel sure that there must be quite a few more.

Sad, isn't it?
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The Portswood branch in Southampton.
OK, "chav" is probably unfair, but the area certainly isn't noted as home to the stereotypical Waitrose shopper. Mostly Eastern European immigrants and students; more than half the houses on my road are HMOs. I quite like living here, but the Waitrose always seemed a bit out of place.
Pete