B&Q rant

Visited my local B&Q store yesrerday to purchase some Ronseal fence stain in Maintain Blue. On the shelves, they had all the other colours except the colour that I wanted. Thinking that they had sold out I started to walk away, but stopped at the shelves above (out of reach of customers but access by B&Q staff with a ladder) and looked. Lo and behold, a shelf full of Mountain Blue fence stain. But, across the shelf was a sign "Do Not Touch - Stocktaking". Managed to speak to a manager, who said "We can not sell you the item Sir, as we are stocktaking at the moment and the company who is doing the stocktake forbade us in selling those items".

Hello, aren't B&Q in the business of selling diy goods to customers? They have paid a firm of stocktakers to do a stocktake, but the firm has told B&Q not to sell any item which has been counted. Funny, I thought if you pay a firm for a service, it is on your terms. It is not their job to order shop not to sell any items.

Reply to
ABC

The message from "ABC" contains these words:

I think you'll find it's on mutually agreed terms - in their case they're declining to agree terms because it would be inconvenient for them. That's life - shop elsewhere.

Reply to
Guy King

I would've gone and got myself a pair of stepladders and 'tested them out' in that aisle. Sure, if a member of staff was around they *might* object but given their staff always seem to be hiding away somewhere I think you would've been fine.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Or get up there and fetch some down whilst no-one's looking (which, considering how thin on the ground their staff are, isn't difficult).

Reply to
dom

Wouldn't this produce a "loss" in the stocktake totals? And perhaps a "profit" in sales? B&Q would then need a loss adjuster etc. to get it sorted...

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

That is where you went wrong.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Like the chain/tubing cutters - staff only... the checkout staff didn't know you cut it. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.