Pumped Return Veto'd (sp) By Boiler Manufacturers!!

Hi all

Following on from my recent post on boiler selection, Worcester vs Alpha, I have contacted the technical help at both companies. My current heating system has the pump on the return to the boiler. Both companies claim this is OK for a sealed system but not acceptable for vented (Alpha actually said it was non-preferred for sealed but acceptable).

Anyone understand why this might be? The boiler will see max pump pressure/flow as flow will not be passing around system before reaching the boiler. Can't believe that this will have such a marked effect though.

Any ideas?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It is more of a safety thing. Many vented solutions rely on a supply of cold fresh water from the tank to the return of the boiler. You are not supposed to put a pump in this route.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Christian McArdle" wrote

Is this fresh water to the return of the boiler a new thing with the modern boilers? AIUI, many systems were installed with the pump in the return as a means of prolonging pump life (due to generally lower temp of operation).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

No. It is more important with older boilers, as these don't have secondary overheat protection.

Older systems are often not well designed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle