Re: B&Q self checkout machines

You won't. You go through the same triage as everyone else. Lots of people try it on & fail.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Think you misunderstand me. If it is a real emergency surely the ambulance crew provide first aid? And presumably report the situation to their control?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, they do.

I was there this evening, going up and down the darn things several times, and the announcements were beginning to drive me mad.

True. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Absolutely. If its a 'real' emergency, judged as a 'Cat A' call by the control. Cat A being 'immediate threat to life'. You are then likely to get a FRV (fast response vehicle) within 8 minutes.

The crews are trained to give much more than first aid, paramedics much more so than technicians. And, yes you are correct, they will radio through to the A&E with full details and you will go straight in. The ambulance crew do the triage.

Didn't read your post properly, sorry. Many people with relatively minor problems do call an ambulance believing they can jump the queue at A&E, but they don't. The crew won't call A&E unless they have to, in which case you go through the normal triage proceedure.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It works. Car park at QA Hospital Portsmouth is operated by NCP. You collect a token on entry and pay at a machine before leaving. Standard NCP procedure. Of course, as NCP is a private profit-making venture the ethics of making a profit out of sickness and illness are debatable.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Bedford Hospital is the same. It even does the "first 20 minutes free" correctly. And it does indeed work.

Reply to
Huge

appointment

I don't think I have ever advocated free hospital parking just a sensible charging method.

Having to guess how long your out patients appointment is going to take is daft. When I bust me ankle last year the outpatients visits could be anything from 15 mins to over an hour.

Having to worry about having some (undefined amount of) loose change when taking some one to hospital. I don't use much cash, everything goes on plastic, as parking is generally free around here I don't need to keep coins in the car.

Having to abandon your child in A&E just to move your car from the short stay A&E spaces is not good for the childs well being. And could delay treatment if you aren't present to give consent etc...

Pay on exit is so much better. You can sort out the money whilst waiting or on leaving after treatment when the pressure is off.

barely

If I lived in London I'd probably not have a car. I know several people who don't have cars, indeed don't have driving licences, who live in London. A car is just an expensive PITA due to the traffic and parking problems.

Out here a car is almost essential. I say "almost" 'cause I could use a push bike to go basic grocery shopping only in town 2.5 miles away (though the 400' rise on the way back would keep me fit!). Any other shopping is more or less a day trip by car. By PT it would be a day trip and may not leave you much shopping time either and I'd still have to get those 2.5 miles into town and back covered somehow as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I really think that ambulances attending calls like that ought to be charged for, say =A350 a time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And available for free (thanks to the author) at

Mark Spice

Worse here in Melbourne at the Alfred Hospital anyway: I came off my bike in July and fractured my pelvis - six weeks on crutches, no op necessary fortunately. Three follow up outpatient appointments, typically 0940 appointment = getting called in at 11.30. Parking is pay on exit, say 2-3 hours A$12 = £6.60

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I'm having physio for a 'frozen' shoulder. Had three appointments so for - each one bang on time. But no parking whatsoever at the clinic - apart from in the street. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LAS reckon its £160 per call cost to them (or us, as its a division of the NHS).

I'd agree. Alas 'duty of care'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Waiting in A&E with my son who'd cut through the base of his thumb (can be serious) opening a tin of rice the place suddenly went quiet and in less than 5 minutes a member of an ambulance crew rushes through with a baby.

Grandad (?) Ca. 68 and three other kids stay in the waiting area

After a few minutes a nurse comes out and says to Grandad. "Now then Mr Jones there's nothing wrong with the baby. You've called an ambulance already this week haven't you, why did you call the ambulance today."

Grandad replies "The baby was quiet for a long time".

According to the local health authority the cost of three ambulance call-outs = Ca. £800 quid.

Most probably 'cos of low batteries.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

They do get a lot of 'regulars' who know the system. Mention chest pain or difficulty in breathing & you go to Cat A immediately.

Around £500 in London, but they have less distance to travel, so thats prolly about right.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Only a token fee for such calls. =A350 is only a months Sky or a weeks ciggies or 3 nights down the pub.

drunks.

Cuts both ways people have a "duty of care" to themselves.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Slippery slope. If you decide to restrict or whatever treatment for those who have harmed themselves through drug abuse etc, how about those who take part in dangerous sports?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't forget what a nice little earner ciggies and booze are for the govt. Most of the benefits they hand out probably come straight back to them in taxes.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Besides which they may be the only answer to the pensions crisis... :)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes, encourage pensioners to go out and get bladdered. Trouble is, there aren't enough pints in the brewery to make me fancy female pensioners.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I smiled as I'm sure I know what you mean!

Earlier today, I took my octogenarian pater out to lunch at his pub, (he now resembles the road sign warning you of old folk). He could do with a man with a red flag walking behind him on the footpath warning others of congestion ahead.

I could only shovel a half of Directors down his throat whilst he had a hearty meal so no chance of getting him bladdered!

Whilst at the pub, which was full, (great, that's income), a younger and much more spritely couple than my father came and sat beside us to have a meal. We fell into conversation and it transpired that the lady was 89! Fit as a fiddle and must be near the top of the MENSA tree. Wonderful conversation. They regularly go out to various pubs in the locality but don't get bladdered so I think there could be difficulty with your plan!

Reply to
Clot