Re: B&Q self checkout machines

Only places that have free carparks are those no one wants to go to. So have so few users it's not worth the bother of policing. Elsewhere what council can resist soaking the motorist?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Like a church?

Elsewhere what

No free council parking in the town centres in S Yorkshire. The Methodist Church car park on Pitt St is usually empty.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But in the words of Corporal Jones, They don't like it up em!

Reply to
John Rumm

I get 2 hour free 'disk' parking in Northallerton.

Reply to
Ophelia

OI! I like Northallerton:)

Reply to
Ophelia

What on earth could anyone find to do in Northallerton that would take two hours? If someone moved to Northallerton and bought a horse then it would become a one-horse town.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Agreed. It caught me out the first time I used one these things: what I was all set up for doing was to quickly scan the items, then place them immediately into the shopping trolley I had brought to carry the stuff home on the bus. In the end, it took me much longer to take the stuff out of the supermarket trolley, scan it, place on the (smallish) area which turned out to be the weighing area, and then to take it all off that again at the end to place it into my own shopping trolley. What a waste of time and a hold-up!

Reply to
Zhang Dawei

I wholly agree. I've tried to use them at Tesco (various stores) and B & Q, (one store) and have failed every time.Last week at a Tesco in wild west North Wales, I tried to barcode through two packs of batteries that I don't think are security sensitive. It would not allow me to register more than one.

Fortunately, I saw a checkout counter with a human becoming free and went through without a hitch.

A Tesco droid was having fun trying to reset the machine as I left!

Reply to
Clot

Did a quick Google and did not find it.

Was that by The Yardbirds in the 60s?

Reply to
Clot

Is that still so after the beginning of October? I thought Stokesley was the only one in Hambleton able to hold out, due to the parish council owning rights to the square or it being registered as a common.

Reply to
<me9

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:49:34 GMT, had this to say:

Doesn't it seem sad that a local authority (be it simply a parish council) can't set such things as parking conditions in its own area?

It's a bit like the 'EU' trying to impose rules and regulations on places like England (other 'EU'-type places such as France just ignore such regulations (although France would like to control the whole of 'Europe')).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

ARWadsworth

Shurrup and eat your rusks or My First Ipod goes down the toilet.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Was that the wife's taste, or yours and she was just very understanding?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Each to his/her own:) I like it:) Plenty for me to do there.

Reply to
Ophelia

Ahhh now there you have me. I don't know! I was there a couple of weeks ago though and all seemed normal.

Reply to
Ophelia

Reply to
Ophelia

Most Tesco par carks these days are 2 hours only! And they police them!

Reply to
Ophelia

Aye, regulations like us not being allowed to return goods and get our money back?? :((((((((

Reply to
Ophelia

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 20:51:38 -0000, "Ophelia" had this to say:

Two hours are quite long enough to do any shopping.

Reply to
Frank Erskine