Re: B&Q self checkout machines

I bet that leads to some sticky situations. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Do you still "Stretch it over the Organ" prior to use ?

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you're going to carry the shopping home wouldn't a basket make more sense?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've done trolley-loads of shopping by both bike and foot. The latter can be a bit like hard work, but a trailer makes the former really quite easy.

Reply to
Clive George

Sorry! On the bright side, if you're good at fixing stuff then there's a wealth of older things out there that can be kept going almost indefinitely, with it often being possible to just make replacement parts if they don't exist anywhere already as spares.

It's only in the last few decades (around the time that quality really started falling off) that things started getting really over-complicated or miniaturised to the point that the DIYer can't always sort them out when they fail.

Reply to
Jules

Urgh.

That always bugs me at international airports - if coming from overseas it's rare to have foreign currency on hand in small coins, yet lots of airports charge for the baggage trolleys these days :(

Hmm, regarding morrisons, I assume the baskets aren't subject to a similar system? Chain a few together and drag 'em around the store with you to make a point...

Reply to
Jules

Don't know, but you could expect some very confused looking Bits in a chemist... what's this, roll your own?

Reply to
John Rumm

Doubtless true, but getting hold of such a box is mildly more difficult than the current approach of sticking a DVD or whatever in your pocket.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

I think my sense of not wanting to feel loyal to any particular store always outweighs my desire to make a few savings - particularly when I don't know what information they're recording about me or who else they're giving it to.

Reply to
Jules

There probably aren't many such towns, but there are plenty of towns outside the south east where there is at least *some* free parking. I used to live in Yorkshire and almost always parked for free. I had to pay for parking only once or twice a month.

Reply to
Bruce

Did you hear about the dyslexic Brit that used Dulux?

He rolled it on.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Being female. I have noticed that the checkout staff more usually ask women "do you want the school vouchers" or "do you have a club/reward card than they do men.

OTOH, they probably more often ask men "do you want the petrol vouches" but I can't survey that as I rarely spend enough money to qualify (I don't own a car).

tim

Reply to
tim....

I can't control the delay cause by everybody else so I will still suffer it

tim

Reply to
tim....

I heard about the one in an American shop - after being told a pack of three was a $2.50 + tax, he said "Sod that for a game of soldiers - I will tie them on if I have to!"

Reply to
John Rumm

Try Hockley in Essex, still plenty of free ones there ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wibbled on Thursday 29 October 2009 20:11

There's always expanding foam if you're in a hurry...

Reply to
Tim W

does it refund the children at the end or does the shop get to keep them?

tim

Reply to
tim....

Yes, I know. But it certainly wasn't upmarket when it closed.

Reply to
djc

Went into M&S in Tottenham Ct Road this Lunchtime. Huge long queues - even for a lunchtime, even with all the quick tills active. Then I noticed, they have taken out most of the normal tills and put in self-service ones.

Reply to
djc