Self service checkouts in B&Q

B'bye!
Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!
Sainsbury's, are you watching?
On 14/08/2019 19:28, R D S wrote:

The ones in our local B&Q work quite well.
On 14/08/2019 19:38, Brian Reay wrote:

So you haven't been asked to put the 4 bags of sand (variable weight depending on wetness) on the scales and found that the position of the scales gives an non ideal position for lifting them off again?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

The reason for their demise may not be entirely unconnected with B&Q's potential liability for damages, should anyone injure themselves when lifting stuff on and off such scales.*
When employees of a company are required to lift similar weights, mere exhortation isn't considered sufficient. They need to be actuallly drilled in the correct method - bend the knees blah blah blah.**
michael adams
*More especially as back pain and back injuries are supposedly easy to feign.
*According to the training episode in "the Office" at least. Unless of course Gareth Keenan was simply making it all up, with the connivance of David Brent, simply so as impress the new bit of totty.
On 14/08/2019 19:38, Brian Reay wrote:

Are you sure they are still there? The ones from ours vanished recently.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 15/08/2019 13:18, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

10% off B&Q is still far more than you would pay at a proper builders merchant.
On 17/08/2019 19:11, Andrew wrote:

It all depends on what you are buying and how far you have to travel. I use B&Q for things like the odd bag of sand which may be more expensive per bag but as my nearest alternative (cheaper) source is 15 minutes each way further in the car so not worth spending more in petrol and time to save a few pence.
Walk in off the street and a "proper builders merchant" will just make up a higher price or at least not offer the discounts given to account holders. It's much like buying tyres, there is the internet price, the phone up first price (remembering to ask if the quote includes valve balancing and VAT) and the just drive in price.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

why does there need to be an "internet" price for tyres
what possible saving is there over serving a walk in
tim

On 18/08/2019 09:11, tim... wrote:

The saving is not having to spend time telling the potential customer the options and prices, answer questions, etc.
There's then - probably more important - the market pressure that those willing to book online are also very likely to be looking at the prices offered by competitors online. In other words, the internet makes the market more efficient.
--
Robin

Its not about saving, its about getting those who use the net to compare prices to buy your tyres. They are \much less likely to walk in to dozens of places flogging tyres.
On 18/08/2019 09:11, tim... wrote:

I assume to be competitive. Some of the big chains offer cheaper prices if you buy and purchase on line and have them fitted 24/48 hours after purchase at an appointment time more suited to their off-peak periods. Maybe it offers better stock control where the tyre you have ordered is only delivered the morning of the appointment rather than the individual retail outlet having to stock more of them them for a walk in. The internet pages often try the hard up-sell with free safety checks etc. which will ALWAYS find something wrong with the car.

A walk in is often the distress purchase and tyre retailers know they can charge a premium on the price of a tyre. At times you may be able to haggle to get a price reduction.
In my experience when phoning around you must ask for the full inclusive price (new valve, balancing and VAT) or else when you turn up and have a tyre fitted you may find all of these are extras.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Doesn’t happen here. I did that, rang around all of them the first time I needed a new tyre for my new car, got it for the price they quoted
On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 04:43:38 +1000, "Rod Speed"

Did the new car come with the duff tyre, or can't you drive without hitting kerbs?
Either way you should maybe think about walking.
Ayers rock is a nice jaunt.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
~Steven Wright

It eventually wore down to not being legal anymore, stupid.
On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 06:20:53 +1000, "Rod Speed"

New, Eventually wore?
Methinks English is not your favoured communications method.
Tried pictures?
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
~Steven Wright
On 18/08/2019 22:38, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

For the avoidance of doubt:
Eventually: After an unspecified period of time or an especially long delay Wore: Deteriorate through use or stress

Methinks all your time of of the UK has clouded your levels of English comprehension. Or it could reflect your hatred towards the population.
Rod often loses an argument, but this time the tables look turned.

O/K genius,
You buy a new car. The tyre is worn. What 's the plan of action, Kwik Fit?
One has had several cars supplied from the dealer, by the time the first tyre wore, the device was far from new and had I been in a position to sell any one of the cars, I would have been rightfully deemed a fraud, describing said vehicle as new.
Get Rodders to reccomend some nice pretty coloured crayons to express yourself with next time.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
~Steven Wright

Not what happened. The first tyre needed to be replaced years after the car was bought new. 6 years later in fact, to get what you call the MOT.
No surprise keep getting the bums rush in weeks...

Bought the car new, the tyres eventually wore to no longer being legals, fuckwit.
<reams of your bog trotter wog clown shit any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs>
On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 10:36:16 +1000, "Rod Speed"

It wasn't a new car then was it?
Glad to help you with the use of English incidentally.
What is your native language Rodders, would you not be better sticking with what you know?
It would save a hell of a lot of bandwidth.