Travis Perkins timber

Went to Wickes to buy some wood, came home with a banana.
This happens every time, and is getting rather tedious. It would be nice to have somewhere that sells vaguely straight wood for a change.
I seem Travis Perkins have finally put non-account prices on their website, and also indicating which branches have a timber cutting service (so I don't have to try to fit 3.6m lengths in the car). But is their wood any good? Does TP Group somehow send all their awful wood to Wickes?
We also have Ridgeons locally, who have also recently started admitting prices on the web, but it's unclear what their policy on cutting is (and they don't list the base lengths).
(hello Jewson, it would be nice if you could join the pricing party too)
Thanks Theo
On 13/08/2019 23:39, Theo wrote:

Do you have a Harlows near you? https://harlowbros.co.uk/branch-finder/?sector=timber
I find it's worth spending some time sorting out timber at places like Wickes. All places will sell you bananas if they can get away with it!
Why not take a hardpoint saw with you? What size timber are you trying to buy?
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 00:44:05 +0100

This.

and this.
On 14/08/2019 06:44, Rob Morley wrote:

I went to wickes last week to get 16 lengths of 8' 6"x2" - figuring I could just about get them in the boot with the seats folded down.
Unfortunately the only stuff they had in stock were 3m and 3.6m lengths. Just as well I thought to take my 18V circular saw as well, and setup shop in the car park :-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 13/08/2019 23:39, Theo wrote:

Find a proper woodyard. Not a DIY shop.
Bill
On 14/08/2019 00:57, Bill Wright wrote:

Around my way even the dedicated timer yards seem to stock crap wood but charge much more than the sheds for it
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

In my experience timber merchants usually offer the best quality timber ove r the builders merchants like Jewson & TP, who in turn are better than the usual sheds. If buying a large quantity of timber slipping the yard man a f iver, for the extra effort of selecting the timbers gets results. If you ar e having a delivery then you are in the lap of the gods, although I have wi tnessed a joiner reject a load of studding because quite a few lengths were banana shaped. I suspect if you manage to read through the small print in the terms and conditions you may find the supplier reserves the right to su pply a certain percentage of out of spec. material which might cover the ba nana shapes.
Richard
On 14/08/2019 00:57, Bill Wright wrote:

I am sort of in the same camp as you. Wickes is sadly a bit of a toy shop
you want a builders merchant
I prefer to use homebase for smaller stuff and ridgeons for bigger.

On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:11:58 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote :

Wickes just requires the right buying method. Their stock is a mix of good & bananas, go when they've brought stuff out, sort through it & you're good . Go when the shelves are near empty & all you'll see is bananas. If you ca n go more than once to buy it generally works fine. If in a rush, go elsewh ere.
NT

What ever you buy, once you get it home and it dries out then it distorts.
Wickes only sell C16 timber. You're bvetter off going to a proper merchant and buying C24 which should have more consistent moisture and fewer knots.
On 14/08/2019 21:50, Andrew wrote:

The art of cutting timber that doesnt, exists, but cheap it aint.
Quarter sawn stock from tree boles - not branches that grew under assymmetric stress - is possible.
In general though its about one length in 10 or less.
Timber - structural lumber, as opposed to that intended for joinery - needs to be understood to be an approximate material.
That is why engineered wood is so popular.
Its just better.
let them."
On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 21:50:56 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

rote:

ood & bananas, go when they've brought stuff out, sort through it & you're good. Go when the shelves are near empty & all you'll see is bananas. If yo u can go more than once to buy it generally works fine. If in a rush, go el sewhere.

My exprience with drying wickes stuff indoors before use, which I normally do for 1 or 2 months, is that most of it's fine, but it is wise to buy a bi t more as the odd one isn't. It still works out cheaper in total than other suppliers.
NT
On 14/08/2019 21:50, Andrew wrote:

The timber I bought from Wickes the other week was Tanalised C24 (although they had labelled and catalogued it as C16).
--
Cheers,

John.
On 13 Aug 2019 23:39:25 +0100 (BST)

Roof rack. Then when you get home you can take time with your cutting list so you make best use of the straightest bits.

My roof-bars are more often on the car than not because I often find myself carrying stuff and what won't go inside goes on the roof.
Like, I went to pick up some shelving daughter bought locally on eBay and the guy went to question how I would carry the room height uprights then he looked closer and said 'ah, roof bars'. ;-)
But are there as many people carrying stuff on roof bars / racks these days? I can remember regularly seeing all sorts of stuff on roof racks, from sofas to wardrobes to boats and sheet materials / fence panels but the last time I saw a sofa on the roof of a car was ours? ;-)
A friend tried to get roof-bars for his Megan Coupe but it seems there may not be such a beast. You could see how one might be able to clamp onto the roof at the front but not at the back because of the non-opening rear windows. Not unless you can slide the 'foot' in between the rubber and the bodywork?
The recommended Thule (Aero) roof-bars for our Meriva are quite short, meaning we can't carry some of the stuff we used to on the likes of the Sierra Estate that had long bars that sat further out on the gutters, rather than a specific mounting point. Whilst they were much more flexible re what width stuff you could carry, I have tried to get out of the car under the end and it does hurt (so 'get' why they might not stick out so much these days). ;-(
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

My last car had roof rails and I added thule bars, it was useful for long timbers and with a home-made roof-rack useful for 8x4 sheets of osb, plasterboard, present car has no rails so now looking for a trailer instead.
On 14/08/2019 10:20, Andy Burns wrote:

I loved my two Astra Estates with rails. I had four bars for them and so could carry all sorts of mixtures and combinations.
On 14/08/19 11:06, newshound wrote:

I've still got my "Paddy Hopkirk" roof bars originally bought in the early 70s for use with a Viva HB! They are still used once every year or two for long items, and have been easy to adjust to fit five different models of car.
--

Jeff

Doesn’t work with mine that I got in the 70s for the Golf.
The Hyundai Getz doesn’t have the same arrangement on the car for the rails to mount on.
On 14/08/2019 11:06, newshound wrote:

+1
But the bars from my Astra F don't fit my Astra H, sod it.