B+Q Prices V Travis Perkins

I bought some Aquapanel sheets the other night at B+Q and also a pack of 100 screws ..The 1200 x 900 sheets were under £15 each and the screws about £5 something . I couldnt get the tape so as Travis Perkins are near me I went to check their product list at their website.

The Aquapanel sheets are £27 plus VAT a square metre so by my reckoning a 1.2 x .9m sheet is 1.08 sq m and that comes to over £34...Am I right .?

and the screws are £10.19 plus VAT so that is double the B+Q price ...

Guess where I'm not going for the tape .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Last time I was in the local Wicks (3 weeks), Aquapanel were just over

12 quid each and buy 2 get one free.
Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Yup...I made a mistake .They were £12.48 as were Wickes just over £12 but they didnt tell me about any special offer when I phoned Wickes .Oh Well......!!!

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The message from Stuart contains these words:

Thing is - many builders don't care 'cos they pass the cost on to the client.

Reply to
Guy King

Indeed..Who probably doesn't know any better than to pay up

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

So with a 50% discount you get down from "list" to "normal retail" price of £17. B&Q can undercut that to £15 because they bulk buy.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well, if they check the TP website they can see the builder is selling the stuff "at cost" so they know they're not being ripped off.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Just as well B&Q have such a generous refund policy then ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

...but TP will almost certainly give a discount to trade/consumer if asked, whereas B&Q will not......

SalesGuy

Reply to
salesguy

In message , salesguy writes

Yeah, but since the TP prices are so much higher, even 50% discount - which they probably won't give to any old Joe of the street it'll still be cheaper in B&Q.

Reply to
chris French

B+Q's price is actually £13 ..I made a mistake .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The message from Owain contains these words:

Though I'm sure TP give discounts.

Reply to
Guy King

I don't know what TP will do on Aquapanel, 40% at a guess, but they are generally known as being somewhat expensive. I try to avoid them. Notice how nice I'm being about them!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

As TP have signed a distribution agreement for Hardibacker, it is not surprising that they charge a lot more for a competing product. Hardibacker

500, which is cement based rather than gypsum based, is listed by most suppliers at under £15 a sheet.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

TP are very pricey Curiously they own Wickes. Their Class 1 MOT crushed limestone was the most expensive I could find when i needed 10 tons for my drive. It is potty that a trade place is more expensive than their retail equivalent. The best value BMs seem to be Selco and Platform

HTH PHil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

Stuart,

Near where I live there's a privately owned DIY shop doing very nicely sited right next door to TP.

As it was in my case, they apparently get people walking in all the time saying "I saw your shop after turning in to TP and I'd rather not pay their prices"

Jeff

Reply to
jeff.mowatt