Travis Perkins delivery.

I signed up for a cash card, 'trade cash' from Travis Perkins, to get some basic costings for stuff (for example, is 1m^2 of concrete blocks cheaper or more expensive than 1m^2 of bricks)...
I note that on one part of the help, it mentions delivery. Is this only for credit account holders? As I'd like some full sheets of stuff, this would be handy, as I only have a Nissan Micra. Any thoughts?
Ian Stirling wrote:

Yes, don't use Travis Perkins for anything, all builders merchants will deliver and all are cheaper than TP's....they lull you into having an account by special offers on your first order, after that they are often double the price of everywhre else
Phil L wrote:

bollocks. I use 5 merchants regularly, TP are what they are, use them for what you want and use the others for what they do best/cheapest.
. wrote:

TP's cement is a fiver a bag plus vat - this is almost double what it costs at B&Q. Their bagged aggregates are 3 quid plus VAT, again double B&Q's.
If you genuinely use 5 different BM's, you *must* know that TP's ar the dearest out of them all? - if not, you are frequenting the wrong places.
Phil L wrote:

so, you've figured that out ?

for some things, not for others. then there's the convenience and the fact that I know the bloke on the sales counter, the bloke that chops the wood up and the manager.
I frequent all the right places.
. wrote:

Not just that, their plastic underground drains are well over double the price of the next dearest and almost triple the cheapest, their bricks, plaster, plasterboard and timber don't fare too well neither, other than that it's cheap as chips.

So your reply to the OP should have been 'Travis Perkins are alright, provided you are bezzy mates with all those who work there'?

I got some 8x4 plasterboards from them for about 3 quid each, I thought that was cheap. And they are the only place near me who will do 4x3 in 20 foot lengths.
R D S wrote:

Travis Perkins can be the cheapest or close to for lots of things, but you do have to either haggle for every purchase, or speak in advance to the area rep and get decent prices on the things you buy regularly. Never take the initial price you are offered - it's definitely going to be too high. They will nearly always do me a better price on an order than any of the other merchants, but only if I ask for it!
. wrote:

So what are they competitive on then?
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

your mum
. wrote:

Yours too cheap for them then?
--
Cheers,

John.

And check the price of Aquapanle at both TP and B+Q .You'll be shocked at the difference .
Stuart

Go on tell us then, save us a trip;)...

--
Tony Sayer

From memory it's about 34 versus about 14 .
Phil L wrote:

We pay under 3 inc vat at TP for cement - their pricing structure is designed to be discounted, B+Q's isn't.
On 21 Oct 2006 04:15:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sheldononline.co.uk wrote:

Yes but who get's the discount . No-one want to go to an outlet not knowing if the price displayed is what they are expected to pay or if they will get a reduction if they ask or if their face fits .
Stuart
Stuart wrote:

True, but round here all builders' merchants work like that, and I haggle wherever. B+Q don't and are cheap for some things, but where they think they can get away with it they are stupidly expensive, so I don't think there's anywhere where you can assume you're getting a decent price without checking around
snipped-for-privacy@sheldononline.co.uk wrote:

On the contrary, B&Q managers can authorise at least a 20% discount "just like that". The trick is to get them to do so.
Owain

You can easily spot them - they walk around the store wearing a fez.

That sounds like list prices. I didn't think anyone paid list at TP.
Colin Bignell