Toolsatan feature

Just noticed this feature on the Toolsatan interweb page.

Assuming you want to collect stuff from your local branch in the morning, you can add stuff to your basket, then print the list.

The printed page has a code number printed on it. When you arrive at Toolsatan, they just input this code number & your list appears on their terminal. Saves waiting while they input each item separately.

I also like that you can see how many of an item your local branch has in stock.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There is a small chance that the items you want are gone by the time you get to the local branch. Items are not allocated to you, and if you order online you can't collect the same day.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Screen before printing shows basket code without having to actually print it, which is handy away from a printer.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

/Screen before printing shows basket code without having to actually print it, which is handy away from a printer./

Create online account, put items in trolley as & when, saving trolley, on whatever devices you choose, until time to shop.

Online stock check shows if your preferred store has stock.

Goto store, click checkout on smartphone browser pointed at toolsatan trolley, get code on-screen, show phone to staff in store.

IMHO excellent systems at toolsatan.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Why do they need to be input at all, once you have selected them? Why aren't they waiting for you when you arrive as per Screwfix?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I noticed that when the Nook Simple Touch e-reader was reduced to 29 quid the staff at Toolstation suddenly sprouted them for picking orders. Unlike other e-readers, the Nook runs Android underneath so is rootable and you can run standard Android apps.

So somebody in ops is obviously smart enough to spot a bargain and write an app to integrate them into the system. Whereas a normal picking device probably costs 500 quid from bespoke POS outlets.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Yeah, someone mentioned it a while ago. Seems mad that you have to go through the motions of printing it rather than just saving it and giving you the reference. I don't let it print, just copy the reference number onto my phone, and why don't they record your name/postcode against the reference number too, so you don't have to do the postcode/housenumber/surname packdrill every time.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Didn't know you could do it via a smartphone. Do you need an app?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Been using this for years - it's not obvious until you go to print though which always seems a bit wierd.

You don't have to print it, just note down the code. Beware it's not actually reserving stuff so there is a chance that the item has gone by the time you get there (I *think* it's only an overnight stock thing as well - so it's stock as it stood last night).

Also, many of the staff I find don't know where to type the code. *If* they put the code in correctly *and* you were logged in when you generated the code then they will not have to quiz you for the postcode etc.

It also appears in your history online, and you get a little blue thumbs up next to items you've ordered before (handy for the "I want some more of that sandpaper I got last time but I've no idea which one it was" type orders :))

Interestingly, the screwfix one where you now order online, pay online and then go and collect it from the store counts for quidco cashback so can be worthwhile if you are getting something expensive.

If only screwfix wasn't approaching B&Q pricing for many things these days and also have little stock (no doubt due to their increased stock that is never in stock...)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Also if you are in Toolstation and item is not is stock ... it will be sent free of charge overnight to your home address. They are VERY good at looking after customers.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

No app rqd. Just browser

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

You don't, assuming you have an account & have saved trolleys, they know who I am when the code is input on their screens.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I do have a account (and was logged-in when I created the order) but I didn't save the trolley, only printed it (not really) to generate the unique reference - I'll try saving next time ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which is great - until you find what you want is cheaper elsewhere, such as Wickes... :-)

Reply to
polygonum

The boundries seem to be blurring ... I've noticed Wickes branded items turning up on the Toolsatan website, also I've ordered 1 tonne bags of aggregate from Wickes and had some of them arrive in TP branded bags.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I reckon it's more due to the bean counters looking at cost of stock sat doing nothing. Every few years they ramp it right down and I find a boggo order of 10 packs of something is twice their stock level. After a year it gets better, the bean counters having presumably been beaten for not having anything on the shelves. This lasts a while and then the cycle repeats.

Reply to
Scott M

and, Wickes has the same owners at Toolstation. Locally, they are next door to each other.

Reply to
charles

That's all you need to do - just generating the code is enough.

If they type it into the correct box then it'll fill in all of the postcode details automatically... I've had this disucssion in both the folkestone and the canterbury store. Some of their training seems to miss this :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Here they are about the same distance from middle of town - but in nearly orthogonal directions. But it is very much the fact that you have to check both of them. Would be rather nice if Wickes & TS had an equal pricing regime. Or at least price-match and/or TS never more expensive.

Reply to
polygonum

I did a saved trolley today, instead of (pretending to) print it, either method generates the code, went in gave them the code, which he typed in, then he asked for the postcode and house number (he did type these in rather than just confirming against details retrieved to his screen).

Seems so, I'll try to re-train the Leicester staff :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns