Shed roofing felt

Any recommendations for roofing felt for a shed? It will have a new ply roof, so it's a question of what to put on it. I'm after something better than shed felt, which usually ends up in the middle of the lawn a couple of years later, but I'm not going to torch on felt with buckets of molten bitumen, so something inbetween. How good is the cold tar-like felt adhesive? Can you use it to put on more than one layer of felt?
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 05/08/2013 16:23, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Torch on does not require buckets of bitumen. You just need to cut to length, roll it up and then heat it with a torch as you unroll it. Its pretty much all I use for any felting these days. If you get the rubberised "modified" bitumen its pretty tough and durable stuff.
--
Cheers,

John.

What do you do with the bitumen - spread (melt?) it on the wood first?
What sort of torch - I presume a bog-standard plumbing blowlamp is going to be too small?
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 05/08/2013 18:16, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

No, it already bonded to the back of the felt.
Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?vLsTbXdERSU

Play the heat across the back of the felt, (it has a plastic film which disperses), and partly on the roof... sticks like the proverbial to the blanket. Fixed as soon as it is cooled, and no titting about with cans of messy black gloop.

One where you can stick a bigger head on it - say inch and a half to 2 inch. The big long handled torches help, but are not essential for small areas like a shed.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 05/08/2013 19:19, John Rumm wrote:

So is this be best option for my newly replaced flat shed roof? Or is one of the self-adhesive felts or single piece butyl going to be easier and just as long lasting?
On 07/08/2013 17:06, Andrew May wrote:

Never tried a self adhesive felt so can't really comment. The torch on systems are as good as traditional hot pour system IMHO. Butyl liners may give you a longer life still, but are a bit more tricky to apply.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 07/08/2013 17:50, John Rumm wrote:

I take it a torch on system could be applies with a standard small propane tank and a rented torch. Doubt if my plumbing torch would provide the power needed.
On Thursday 08 August 2013 08:35 Andrew May wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Nowhere near. And the flame is wrong - you need a large wafty flame, not a small extremely hot one.

On 08/08/2013 08:35, Andrew May wrote:

Yup, for smaller sections I use something like:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/fs560-gas-torch-kit?da=1&TC=SRC-blow+torch
with one of the larger two heads on it, running of a small 4.7kg propane cylinder.
However, something like:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/fc21660-gas-torch?da=1&TC=SRC-blow+torch
is cheap enough to buy for the job...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 08/08/2013 13:05, John Rumm wrote:

Thanks. Although I might be tempted by something like
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/fkp411-long-arm-gas-torch
if it would be get used for weed control.
On 08/08/2013 14:24, Andrew May wrote:

Yup, I think that is the one I have. It does the job... just don't ware nylon trousers ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Don't shop at Machine Mart.
--
<•DarWin><|
_/ _/
On 08/08/2013 18:31, Steve Firth wrote:

Well, no. Not after what we've heard on here
On 07/08/2013 17:50, John Rumm wrote:

Well went into local builders merchant this morning and came away with a couple of rolls of IKO Coldseal <http://www.ikogroup.co.uk/Products/DIY-Roofing/Coldseal-Self-Adhesive-Felt/ . Having compared it to the torch on stuff that they had I decided that given the size and shape (there are upturns on two sides) of the roof it was probably the better option; less trying to heat and unroll precut pieces around bends.
Weather permitting I will put it on tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
Thanks for all the advice.
Andrew
On 05/08/2013 16:23, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I have always used the tins of felt adhesive put on 3 layers, overlapping by about 3 inches, and alternated the direction of lay. Lasts for years.
--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field
On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 15:23:28 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I've used shed felt just nailed but it doesn't last in our gales and driving rain, I've refelted twice in 13 years. It's not failing at the nails, it's just wearing out.
I've now got permission to use Oduline, or similar, corrugated bituminised sheet. It's supposed to have a 20 year life... Need to look closely at the installation instructions, I do have concerns about the wind getting under it. The wind has taken the whole roof off and deposited it 25 yards away across the road on another occasion it's rolled the entire (empty) shed upside down as a complete unit:
http://www.howhill.co.uk/weather/view.php?t=p&y 05&m&d(
--
Cheers
Dave.
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Permission? Is your shed listed or something :-)
My felt has worn out at the nails, I hate these sort of jobs where it feels you've only just done it and yet it needs doing again. I've done the battening, and was hoping to fit the Onduline yesterday, but the weather had other opinions, thankfully I did manage to fit a tarp over it last night, which has had a couple of drenchings already ...
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 18:54:51 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

SWMBO'd shed...
--
Cheers
Dave.

Can't beat tin sheets.
me@bum'ole.cum says...

You can.
But the neighbours will start complaining about the noise.
--
Sam