Mac Disaster

A few months ago I was looking for a 165mm mains circular saw & ended up with a Macalister from B&Q for 45. Spec looked good for the money.
Less than 3 months old, relatively little use & it started playing up.
Cross cutting a 2 x 4 & it started to fight back badly, could only just hang on to it.
Appears that the bearing on the shaft had gone, causing the blade to wobble like a dado head.
It went back for a full refund this morning. I've ordered a Makita 5604R.
I should know better by now. Last time I buy any kind of B&Q power tool.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote:

I'm amused by your comment ( no reflection on TMH). Provided that you control an impact driver properly, it is useful. Do not be prissy with it. Ensure that you put significant pressure on it before striking it.
clot wrote:

We are talking electric impact drivers http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp ;jsessionidWYUJN03CABKCSTHZPCFEY?id)438&tst156
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp ;jsessionidWYUJN03CABKCSTHZPCFEY?id)438&tst156
I wondered if someone would come back with that comment. It is still critical to ensure that you put enough pressure on the appliance whether manual or otherwise powered. If you do not put pressure on it then you have a small useless bowl!

Indeed, having spent more years than I care to remember using power impact wrenches it's very noticeable how the amount of pressure applied to the tool has an effect on how effective the impact wrench is - it's also extremely funny to watch an inexperienced person see the tool jump off the fixing when they forget to hold the tool down upon pressing the trigger!
snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote:

Yes, agreed. It was actually the Makita jigsaw, reinforced by the Makita impact driver. I won't buy anything but Makita from now on, it's just so good and 'does exactly what is says on the tin'.
You just don't realise the difference until you use the kit every day. It's not just the longevity, its the way they do the job.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Its certainly a safe way to know you will get something that is at a minimum "good" and will last (and I have never been disappointed with any of my Makita kit), but don't discount the other quality brands since each will have tools that come out as "best of breed".
For example, the Makita portable planar thicknesser is a very good machine, but I think my DeWalt DW733 has the edge on it in a number of small but important details. The big 9" Hitachi circular saws are very nice, as are Trend and Freud routers etc.

I think the jigsaw test is an ideal way to convince anyone who doubts the value of decent tools. The Makita in particular is just *so* much better than most peoples experience of a jigsaw as to be really quite surprising even if you are expecting it to be lots better.
--
Cheers,

John.

I was even more suprised when I bought some *GOOD* blades for my fairly modest jigsaw, saved me spending 80 odd on a Makita etc ;)))
I expect most peoples experiences are of crap blades in a cheap jigsaw...
cheers, Pete.

Good blades certainly do help, expecially in jig saws and circular saws.
However, in the case of a jig saw, the quality and engineering of the blade holding mechanisms etc. are key to the ability of the saw to maintain the stability of the cut.
There is a world of difference between the sub 50 jigsaw and the 100 products of Bosch, Makita et al.

It might not work out with a cheaper jigsaw and any old blade on one attempt, but it doesn't mean it can't be done.
OK the right blade and a little technique are needed but it's quite possible to get very good results.
cheers, Pete.
John Rumm wrote:

Thats exactly it John. I can't be arsed to look at every make & with a 165mm circukar saw there aren't that many about anyway. I know if I buy Makita - based on the router, jigsaw, drill driver, impact driver I already have, it's going to do what is says on the tin.

Agreed 100%. I smile every time I use it, worlds apart from other jigsaws.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

I will never buy a Makita product. This recall notice is a lie. A user in New Zealand lost an eye when his sander pad broke apart, and Makita didn't want to compensate him until forced to by public opinion.. Losing an eye is NOT a "minor injury".
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03091.html
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Makita U.S.A. Inc., of La Mirada, Calif., is voluntarily recalling about 350,000 electric orbit sanders. The pads on the sanders can break apart during use and strike the operator, posing an injury hazard to consumers.
Makita U.S.A. Inc. has received 13 reports of pads coming apart, including three minor injuries that resulted from pieces of the pad striking consumers.

Presumably the user was using eye protection as recommended in the instruction manual?
Matty F wrote:

Your loss I guess.

You need to read it a little more carefully. It says "Makita U.S.A. Inc. has received 13 reports of pads coming apart, including three minor injuries". It seems unlikely that a New Zealand user would have reported a problem to Makita USA. So it is probably true, that they have only had minor injuries reported, and that the recall is voluntary in the USA.
--
Cheers,

John.

Yes. Loss of an eye.

As you know, unfortunate things happen when people don't read and follow the instructions.
For some reason, they think that it is then the manufacturer's fault as opposed the person who should have known better.

Have you got a link to the original report on that?

Newspaper reports have now vanished from their archives. I note that the eye-losing accident occurred many months after the recall was announced in the US on March 7 2003. In NZ we cannot claim against manufacturers for such accidents, so it is not considered so necessary to publicise recalls. But that would have saved the guy's eye.
Here's a Usenet discussion with all the points that are sure to be made: http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.general/browse_frm/thread/e25b1af0aa434e65/71ddfbcd60fbcea0?lnk=st&q=makita+group%3Anz .*&rnum&hl=en#71ddfbcd60fbcea0

So would have wearing eye protection...