Stripping disaster

Can anyone help with a problem with Peel Away 1?

I inadvertantly used this product to strip stain and varnish from a window. Not only has it darkened the wood (it looks like it's burnt), but it had damaged it and the remnants of the product will not come off! I have tried everything I can -- other strippers, water, wire wool, brushes, sanding -- and the only thing that works at all is to scrape it off, but that is very difficult and time consuming and is damaging the wood even more.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or any ideas on how to remove the residue from the wood?

For the second, identical window I used Peel Away 6 (which is what I should have used in the first place). It's worked pretty well but even when I have managed to get all the Peel Away 1 residue off the first window (I'm not holding out much hope) I will be left with windows side-by-side of vastly different color.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I can salvage this situation? I really don't want to paint the windows.

Reply to
sbeth

What was the product you used on the first window?????? What instructions did it have for rinse/removal of remaining stripper?

I've never had stripper give a burnt look to wood. If it was semi-paste remover, it likely had parafin or something similar to give it body, which can leave a plastic looking residue. If it was a semi-paste methylene stripper, apply another coat and follow instructions for removing it. Can't give much advice without knowing more about the product. Also possible that the first stripper leeched stain from the wood and that is what is giving it much darker color; if that is the case, it should come off with another coat of stripper.

Reply to
norminn

Best source of good advice id customer serviceat the manufacturer. Don't be bashful, give them a call and you will probably learn a lot about their rpeoducts anf how to use them. Good luck

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I hate their products.

Reply to
Jimm6y Dean

Peel-Away 1 is a caustic based stripper. While it works quite well when used according to the directions, most DIYers seem to ignore the need to neutralize the stripped surface and deal with potential darkening. The stripped wood surface can be neutralized with most any acid but the best one to use is probably oxalic acid since it will help to bring the darkened wood back to its proper color. You will probably have to neutralize it with the oxalic acid solution a few times since the caustic can penetrate a little ways into the wood. If you do not neutralize the wood after using Peel Away, and do not mind the darkening, you run the risk of getting finish adhesion problems later on even when using paint.

Good Luck.

"sbeth" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Baron

Short of replacing or painting, perhaps your only remaining alternative may be to stain the lighter-colored window wood to match the darker one, or electric hand-sander the living daylights out of the draker-colored one to plow thru the effects of the Peel Away 1 if it didn't soak in too deep. That's sorta labor-intensive, but I've found that things that involve saving original wood tend to be labor-intensive.

Myself, I'd kick myself a few times, consider it a lesson learned, and paint 'em both.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott