Expected lilac growth in first few months?

I planted a common lilac shrub, about 2 feet tall, in the spring. It has grown very little over the past 3 months or so. Is this to be expected? Or is it perhaps indicative that the plant is subpar or the location is subpar. Regarding the plant itself, when purchased it frankly didn't look so great--in part because it had sat out at the nursery through a mid-spring freeze (in the Kansas City area). I've pruned off some dead branches and leaves, and it looks much better. There is healthy new growth, just not much of it. Overall, it looks healthy, just small. Regarding the location, I have it in an all-sun spot with plenty of room to expand. The soil can get damp but does drain.

So, bottom line, should I be patient and give it a year or two? Or should I consider moving it somewhere where I can "experiemnt" with it and give it time, and get something else in there that's larger and clearly doing well (I'm thinking a blue rose of sharon). The spot it's in is a high-visibility part of the yard that I'd like something nice and showy in.

Thanks

Reply to
Stuart E. Weiner

"Stuart E. Weiner" expounded:

If you've planted it in a nice full sun area with good, neutral pH soil, then yes, leave it alone and be patient. Lilacs are hardy to zone 2, so that spring freeze didn't do it much harm. It's setting roots and getting itself established. If it hasn't shaped up by mid spring next year then start to worry about it.

Reply to
Ann

Don't know lilacs in particular, but generally for shrubs (and I guess perennials too) this is pretty much what you'd hope for in the first 3 months: survival, some signs of growth/thriving. The slogan is "sleep, creep, leap" (first year, plant doesn't do much, second year, plant grows some, third year, plant is taking over your yard).

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

Pretty much what I'd expect from a transplant. Give it a year or two (and some fertilizer) to get its roots under it.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster