Standard Lilac

Hi,

I have a standard lilac tree (a graft of a lilac plant). I have it for over 5 years and it has never been pruned. Now, 2 of the branches from the center of the graft is not producing leaves so I think it is because the branches are too heavy and the graft is damaged??? I am not sure. If I removed the 2 dead branches, it will deform the tree (because right now it is a perfect globe shape, except no leaves/flowers on those branches). What should I do?

Thx, Alex

Reply to
Alex Ng

No leaves = dead. You have two choices. You can leave the dead branches or you can remove them. Your theory about the branches being too heavy doesn't seem right to me.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Alex if the branches are dead it's best to remove them as they provide a place for rot and fungi that can damage living tissue to gain a foothold.

Reply to
Beecrofter