Any recommendations on indoor flowers with lots of scent yet easy to grow?

Just looking for recommendations on easy-to-grow indoor potted flowers that produce scented blooms useful for using in sachets, etc.

I have a lavender plant growing that I bought on a whim to see whether or not I could get any flowers out of it. But judging by how slowly it's grown in the nearly three months since I bought it, looks like it'll take decades before anything worthwhile is produced (besides which, I believe lavendar is a big plant?).

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Galaxy

Try jasmine:

Pen

Sambac ("Arabian Jasmine"might be worth a try--I have Grand Duke of Tuscany and it produces like mad. They look like littlle fat white roses, doubled and tripled, and smell divine--like gardenia splashed with citrus. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

People grow gardenias indoors, 'though I don't know if they're useful as dried sachet ingredients. My own gardenia bush is in bloom now. So vexing -- 8' bush with flowers all over it, but just for 2 weeks or so. If only it could put them out 2 at a time all summer -- now *that* would be a Gardenia!

Reply to
Frogleg

Thanks!

Reply to
Galaxy

Interesting. A tad big for my apt, but will definitely keep in mind when (if?) I ever get anything bigger than this bachelor (well, the way rents are going ... ).

Reply to
Galaxy

Galaxy wrote: : Just looking for recommendations on easy-to-grow indoor potted flowers : that produce scented blooms useful for using in sachets, etc.

: I have a lavender plant growing that I bought on a whim to see whether : or not I could get any flowers out of it. But judging by how slowly : it's grown in the nearly three months since I bought it, looks like : it'll take decades before anything worthwhile is produced : (besides which, I believe lavendar is a big plant?).

Lavendar is a Mediterranean plant and needs lots and lots of sun. Chances are it will only limp along indoors and probably never bloom unless you can give them the equivalent of outdoor sun in a sunroom or greenhouse. You might try a windowbox on a south window.

Someone else mentioned gardenias - they are notoriously difficult as indoor plants and getting consistent flowering is a real challenge. The flowering specimens at the florist's have been brought along under ideal conditions in a greenhouse and often simply drop their flowers and sulk once you bring them home.

Carnations and certain kinds of dianthus will bloom prolifically in sunny south windows in mid-winter. Select varieties with a strong scent. "Wee Willie Winkie" is particular nice - a tiny flower with a strong scent of cloves. Plant with ordinary white Alyssum and you'll have a lovely honey and cloves fragrance.

Sunlight is the key. The more light you can contrive to provide your plants, the better the will flower for you. If you can, give them a summer holiday on a porch, balcony or in a south-facing windowbox.

Hoyas have very fragrant flowers, as do ordinary jade plants, not sure how their flowers would preserve for sachets, though. Jade plants need LOTS of sun to bloom.

During winter, don't forget about bulbs that you can force - Hyacinths, Freesias, etc. Although Freesias will overwhelm the house with scent.

-- Karen

The Garden Gate

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ^and cats -- Cicero =================================================================== On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002

Reply to
Karen Fletcher

I have absolutely no success with potted gardenias. They look wonderful and just before blooming, the flower bud fall off.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Oh, there *are* smaller gardenias. I didn't mean 8' bushes were the norm indoors. They are often sold as houseplants.

Reply to
Frogleg