Growing Tobacco

Hello Everyone.

I'am wondering if anyone has any experience growing tobacco here in our Newfoundland climate. For those that do, I would like to know where to get the seeds for it, and also where should I grow it ? I heard that it was like growing corn, but I don't know if that is true or not. I'am getting a greenhouse soon from Kent's, and also I have allot of Topsoil and Peat Moss and Composted Cow Manure and plenty of lime. Should I grow it in the greenhouse or out in one of my gardens ? If someone could supply me with some details on growing it, and what soil and stuff to use, and whether I use lime or not, and so on, it would be very much appreciated.

So anyone with experience regarding this, please respond to this post. I'am very grateful.

Thanks to all,

Justin Harding.

Reply to
Justin Harding

Blues Ma

Reply to
Justin Harding

- daniel brett-s

----------------------------------------------------------------------- posted via

daniel brett-sc

A few years ago in one of the seed catalogs from ontario they had tobacco seed. I think we got the catalog with / from a Harrowsmith magazine.

take care Liz in Calgary.

Reply to
MisNomer

I've grown nicotiana alata (not common flowering tobacco, but some big variety with white flowers) in a partially-shaded and not-very-fertile flower bed in Minnesota. It grew about 5 feet tall in just a few months. I didn't try smoking any of it, but I was tempted to try it. I've also seen N. sylvestis locally in someone's garden and it was even bigger than the N. alata.

Hope this helps, :-) Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

You'd think growing up in Connecticut with tobacco fields all around I'd know more about this plant. Colleen Zone 5 CT

Reply to
GrampysGurl

But thanks for the input....I really appreciate your response. I'm not sure if I have checked those sites out...but I will gratefully do that. Maybe I missed something. Again, THANKS!

Reply to
gary davis

Hi Justin I haven't grown it myself but I have a friend that has. He never offered a sample to try but did offer his opinion about the product. Yuk! I saw the plant it had big leaves and was growing in a loose, sandy type soil. It was about three feet tall. Fertilizer? Certified organic manure of some kind. And by the way, you may not like the information I give you but it is the best I can do. The person who sent you those sites (WWW) was doing the best he/she could also. A simple thanks for our input would be very appropriate...even if you don't want the information. A 'thanks' sometimes means more than you know. Gary Fort Langley BC Canada

To reply please remove...yoursocks...

Reply to
gary davis

It's a disgusting habit, you are killing yourself and those around you.

Sheesh... you haven't even tried to look... there are dozens and dozens of web sites that sell seed and offer all the info you need:... you want we should smoke em for you too:

brooklyn1

I know you can buy the plants at the farmer's co-op. Have not seen the seeds, tough. Tobacco requires a lot of care. Listen to the American Cancer Society.

Reply to
Phisherman

There are healthier things to smoke that you could grow a lot more easily.

Reply to
Father Haskell

There are healthier things to smoke that you could grow a lot more easily.

=================

Smoking pot/weed is just as damaging to ones respiratory system and health in all respects as tobacco smoke... anyone who believes not is living under a rock. I wouldn't wish emphysema and COPD on my worst enemy. Anyone who still smokes (anything) is an asshole who will one day beg for a bullet in their brain. Gasping for every breath is the very worst way to die, worse than terminal cancer. And when you can't breath no one can help you and nobody will try, no one can breathe for you, you are all on your own. At least with terminal cancer you'll get pain killers and sleep inducers... when you can't breathe there is no onocologist, no radiation therapy, there is nothing... the best you'll get is being ignored, your own doctor will avoid you... you will pray for that bullet in your brain.

Reply to
brooklyn1

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 02:55:31 GMT, against all advice, something compelled "brooklyn1" , to say:

I'm gonna sit down with my doctor, and I'm gonna tell her (yes, her), "Doc, I need one of those medical marijuana cards."

And she's gonna say, "Why?"

And I'm gonna say, "Because I have a bad attitude. And every time I smoke marijuana, my attitude improves."

Don't really see a problem with that.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

What does your doctor being female have to do with anything... that you even bring it up only proves you are mentally unstable.

You have a sissy attitude, the attitude of a wuss.

Any doctor who prescribes anything to smoke should lose their license... there are plenty of attitude altering drugs in pill form and injectible... just like all other substance abusers you're simply a spineless bastard.who is incapable of self responsibility. One day you will be gasping and sputtering for that bullet in your brain and no one will hear you.

Reply to
brooklyn1

so is inhaling candle smoke, even more so because it isnt filtered and has small particulates. true also for burning wood of any kind. I am always amazed at the hypocrisy of people who are ardent anti smoking yet get all organic about burning wood to heat their homes and as a smoker I can only stand about 15 minutes in their homes before I am choking. sheesh.

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

to keep it fresh, freeze it, not in a frig, and if you dont have a temp regulated room for storing it. to dry the leaves my aunt (she grew it in sw WI) would hang the leaves in slat houses all winter, sometime in January there would be a thaw the leaves would absorb enough moisture so they could be crated and shipped so we always called the Jan thaw "casing weather" Ingrid Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

I'd rather die from smoking than live my entire life being a self righteous asshole.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Name one victim.

That's why it pays to grow good quality.

Reply to
Frank

What about as an ingredient for brownies or spaghetti sauce? What about vaporizing it?

Reply to
Frank