Terrible Two-Tomato Torment.

I have three tomato plants in the greenhouse, a Rutgers, a Brandywine, and a Super Beefsteak. They are growing in large pots. Only the Brandywine looks to be normal. The other two have developed some kind of leaf curl in which the leaf rolls up and the underside of the leaf turns dark purple.

I fear that cats may have gotten into the greenhouse and whizzed in those two pots. Does anyone have the key to this mysterious 'mater malady?

Reply to
www.locoworks.com

Sounds like it could be a nutrient problem. I have a greenhouse and only one tomato thrived. We call it our "magic tomato" but unfortunately don't know the name of it. It was give to me last spring. I took cuttings for the winter. Only this one plant did well, the rest faded away. Not all tomatoes do well in greenhouses even with the proper nutrition.

Reply to
J. & J. Doe

On May 12, 8:34=EF=BF=BDpm, "J. & J. Doe" wrote: Not all tomatoes

Damn! I wish I'd known that. The only reason I got the greenhoouse was to grow tomatoes! I don't think that it's a nutrient problem. The soil is that "garden" soil that is supposed to be pre-fertilized for an entire season.

Reply to
www.locoworks.com

I think this was posted in the newsgroup a little while back...

course, it may be hard to separate the smell of cat urine from the smell of tomato vine, but that would be a telltale.

What about removing some of the soil from the pot, taking it away and seeing if it has that well used litter smell.

Reply to
phorbin

Thanks, I'll try it.

Reply to
www.locoworks.com

Sounds like some type of bacterial canker to me. This is a really good picture driven tomato disease identification site.

Rick

Reply to
persephone

Damn! I wish I'd known that. The only reason I got the greenhoouse was to grow tomatoes! I don't think that it's a nutrient problem. The soil is that "garden" soil that is supposed to be pre-fertilized for an entire season.

There are tomatoes out there just for greenhouse growing. Google should bring something up. I used a mix of peat moss, bagged topsoil, bagged composted cow manure plus some of those coarse chips called Soil Conditioner from Lowe's. I mixed it all together and fertilized with Miracle Grow maybe once a week. This plant was moved outside and is still producing tomatoes and still in the 30g tub.

Reply to
J. & J. Doe

Well, the brandywine seems to love it in there. I shall Google for info on some friends for it.

Reply to
www.locoworks.com