Relocated to better neighborhood

tantamount to a death sentence. Because raccoons are territorial, it is likely that the raccoons in the new territory will drive out the one you relocated, or kill it. I guess I could understand if the raccoon was destroying your roof or threatening the safety of your family or pets. By your own admission, the problem was created because you put out food (i.e., birdseed) and the raccoon availed himself of it.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Good!!

Yes - silly to abet the problem yourself.

The little varmints rip up my pond and garden. While none of the ones I trap have 'made it' to new areas, it will be a comfort to my wife (who is more tenderhearted than yours truly) to know that they would have been badly used by the local racoons if I had trapped and released them.....

Reply to
Bill Spohn

way to go! my vet told me that if it HAD been a raccoon that had torn Polluxx' rear end up, I would have just needed a bag and a eulogy. that raccoons don't just have scraps, they are vicious to cats and dogs when confronted. hopefully the park is far enough away that RJ doesn't return searching for twinkies and yoo hoos........ maddie

Reply to
madgardener

So I guess this is among your proudest accomplishments and understandably you had to share it with us.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Gee, I'm sorry. Let me apologize to all the raccoons that read this. It was all my fault ;( Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

You posted a bunch of pictures of a raccoon that you relocated. I simply supplied some information that gave a more complete picture of what occurred. I guess I don't understand why you shared that moment of your life with us. Were we suppose to be in awe of your trapping skills? Maybe most people here like to see wildlife suffer.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Yep, snakes can kill you. Bears can kill you. Deer can kill you. Better just get rid of them all. Same goes with bees and wasps. Don't forget the spiders.

Reply to
Vox Humana

and some nice artificial plants...to avoid any poison

Reply to
Paulo

Its a gardening group and as gardeners we encounter wildlife interfering with our intentions and have to deal with them. I posted for the enjoyment of the group. I did not harm the animal or make it suffer. And, you are obviously trolling for me to call you an asshole. I'll leave that opinion to the readers ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

No, I simply pointed out that it is likely that the raccoon will suffer due to you relocating it. Maybe you didn't know that. Maybe you didn't care. I'm just completing the picture. You claim that you didn't hurt it, and that may be true in a sense, but the fact of the matter is that your actions are likely to lead to suffering, if not death of the animal. And, if as you assert, there are other people here looking for ways of dealing with wildlife, they should know the entire story before following your lead. If posting this information leads you to name calling, then so be it.

Reply to
Vox Humana

it is necessary for humans to keep the population of raccoons down to a reasonable level (at least until the predators come back) since high populations of raccoons leads to severe increase in rabies which can kill large populations of them. that is only one disease that is a problem of overpopulation. Ingrid

"Vox Humana" wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

In that case I would suggest a quick and humane form of death. Furthermore, while your statement may be true, it has nothing to do with the matter at hand. But since you brought it up, how does one determine when the population needs to be managed? Is that something that civilians should be doing by trapping animals who are attracted to their homes by food that was left out? Should the raccoons know that the food was only for the birds? Wouldn't the state's department of natural resources or some other agency better deal with wildlife management instead of a homeowner with an SUV? I don't see how relocating raccoons solves over population as much as it puts the "problem" in someone else's back yard. Also, it would seem like nature takes care of population issues when people don't artificially change the balance. And, since you brought up the issue of predators, how many predators, like wolves and coyotes, would a person tolerate in their neighborhood - a person who can't abide a raccoon digging in a flower pot? We already have posts warning of the dangers of raccoons. Large predators also carry disease like rabies. If you thing your pet would get torn-up by a raccoon, what do you suppose would happen to it when it meets a predator large enough to kill a raccoon?

Reply to
Vox Humana

Rabies is endemic here as is West Nile virus and Lymes disease. I handle trapped animals gingerly and lay down newpaper in trunk. This raccoon left a few bugs behind on the paper. Also he had not bathed recently ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Where should we sent the certificate of merit?

Reply to
Vox Humana

very urban areas there should be no skunks or raccoons. in suburbs when they begin using people's occupied homes for nesting there are too many.

I agree. it is better to kill them quickly than relocate. not everyone can do that. but I think they can contact control officers and have them pick up a trapped animal. my mother has an idiot neighbor who is specifically feeding the neighborhood skunks and raccoons. of course her suburbancity doesnt have a law against doing that, one of the few laws it should have.