Lilac growth

I am new to gardening so bare with me. I just bought 2 lilac bushes from a garden show. They are suppose to be a deep purple color when they bloom. Currently they have some leaf buds. My question is how tall will these lilacs get? Should I plant them right away? Right now they are bagged around the roots with dirt. I have them on the deck at the moment, should they be stored in the garage until I plant them or will they be okay outside? I can't really plant them until I know how big I can expect them to get later on. How big they will be will determine where I will put them. Also can anyone recommend a good website about lilac care? Thanks!

Reply to
GoldLexus

How high? I keep mine to the 6 foot level. Type in "lilac care" into google.com and you'll find several websites.

|I am new to gardening so bare with me. I just bought 2 lilac bushes from a |garden show. They are suppose to be a deep purple color when they bloom. |Currently they have some leaf buds. My question is how tall will these |lilacs get? Should I plant them right away? Right now they are bagged around |the roots with dirt. I have them on the deck at the moment, should they be |stored in the garage until I plant them or will they be okay outside? I

Reply to
Ralph

Common lilac hybrids can be expected to reach 8-10 feet, often taller, in time. The spread will be slightly smaller. You can keep them shorter and more narrow by pruning, but excessive pruning is often not recommended for most plants and can become a maintenance nightmare if you attmpt to keep the plant significantly smaller than nature intended. On lilacs, it is essential to prune them immediately after they bloom in order to maximize next season's flowering. Lilacs like full sun, neutral to slightly alkaline soil and not much in the way of fertilizing They are very easy to grow.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal