[OT] Universities and PAT certificates

More a whinge than a question, really. Son is off to uni soon, student accommodation (Scotland) and one of the requirements is PAT certification for anything over one year old. Phoned the office who confirmed sight of receipt required as proof of age of anything claimed to be less than a year old. Rule applies to anything that plugs into the wall, including mobile phone chargers. Is this usual, or OTT?
--
Graeme

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 10:19:19 +0100, Graeme wrote:

OTT but seems to be increasingly common.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Pat-Test-Stickers/116598/bn_7023437926

The thought had crossed my mind :-)
--
Graeme

On 14/08/2019 10:40, Graeme wrote:

Can't wait for Railway Cos to try and enforce this on passengers using power sockets
On 14/08/2019 10:32, Bob Eager wrote:

And the wrong rules apply IMHO. The only item that failed in a nursery I tested last week was the 4 week old toaster. It only had earth continuity if you bent the moulded strain relief on the plug to one side.
--
Adam

A few yearsa go, when working in an amateur theatre, I bought 4 new lanterns. I failed one on earth continuity. I then repaired it, which was quicker than sending it back.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 18:52:37 +0100, ARW wrote:

I tested a new extension socket strip from CPC a couple of months ago (bought it about a year ago as a spare, just got round to unpacking and using it). Intermittent; turned out NONE of the terminals had been tightened in the (non moulded) plug.

but I was taught to open the plug and check screws, etc, before doing the electrical test. ^^^^^^
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:36:19 +0100, charles wrote:

This was bought off the shelf for use at home. But I'm paranoid! I wasn't attempting a PAT validation.
On 14/08/2019 10:19, Graeme wrote:

Seems a bit OTT for things that are double insulated. It has become increasingly common - duty of care to other students etc.
In my day it was the other way around. I found the anglepoise desk lamp that came with my university room had a live chassis the wires having frayed and the earth had been disconnected to stop it blowing fuses.
Luckily I had my trusty neon screwdriver (now deprecated) to hand.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 14/08/19 10:41, Martin Brown wrote:

Not by all, it would appear: <https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VA292.html
--

Jeff

On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 10:19:29 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

I think now usual, given the problems with fake chargers catching fire and overseas students bringing dodgy cooking appliances and adapters in.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t311737
"I never PAT tested mine. Just buy the stickers and and sign a random name on it. They never checked mine. "
Owain
On 14/08/2019 10:41, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

The key here is that if everything catches fire and students die, they are no longer liable. And their indsurance is valid.
If it can be proved from the charred wrecakghe that your pat sticker was forged, you are.
Unless you swear blind you bought it from china like that.
In short by signing a PAT sticker you are legally relieving them of a duty of care and validating their insurance.
THEY dont care about anything beyond that. ....
--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism

I take it that's how you ran your business too?
But then it is a fairly typical view of a Brexiteer. No one is to be trusted. Apart from Farage, obviously.
--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 02:41:19 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Good luck explaining that to a coroner.
On 14/08/2019 12:40, mechanic wrote:

"I dunno mate, I bought em off ebay with stickers on em already"
--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

But the coroner would likely then want to know who the ebay seller was and would likely chuck a wobbly when you can't show who sold them to you with the sticker on them already.
On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:40:36 UTC+1, mechanic wrote:

Procurator Fiscal :-)
Owain
On 14/08/2019 10:41, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I'd be more concerned about the bushmeat and other food items that their parents had packed into their suitcases (assuming they got past the sniffer dogs at the airport).

Graeme wrote:

Buy a 10-way extension lead, and keep the receipt for it :-P