[OT] Universities and PAT certificates

It's becoming normal, but with good reason. Many domestic items are unsafe and where do you draw the line? Certainly, I've condemned many an extension lead. Even phone chargers with cracked cases - after a "fall".
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 14/08/2019 10:49, charles wrote:

Were the extension leads condemned by a visual or electrical test?
I have condemned many by visual but only a few by electrical.
--
Adam

The last one was "visual", but I have had some which failed the electrical test.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 14/08/2019 18:39, ARW wrote:

Visual. Usually the ones that have had two or more 3kW kettles plugged into them by the good ladies of the church tea making brigade.
I wouldn't risk plugging them in - severe damage on visual inspection.
I have seen molten rolled up extension cords and molten deformed sockets on 4 way extension units. It is scary what people do to these things! All our village hall ones now have thermal cutouts but I can't stop someone turning up with their own and overloading that to failure.
Comparatively few well made ones can actually handle a single 13A continuous load at normal room temperature and survive for long. The cheap nasty stuff fails by going brittle or deforming when used just inside its nominally rated envelope after a couple of years.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Thursday, 15 August 2019 10:23:02 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

during our previous PAT testing session it;s the lectures and researchers o ffices where most things get failed. You'd think that such peole in an electrical engineering department but the y'll but a kettle, convection heater, PC & printer all on the ssame 4-6 way block, and if there's not enough sockets they'll add another.

Most nowerdays do seem rather light weight in construction.
On 15/08/2019 11:26, whisky-dave wrote:

About 15 years ago, when working at Hammersmith, one lunch hour I was walking back through the residential back streets and someone was charging a G Wizz from the front window of a ground floor flat of a posh mansion block.
Two or three extension leads with 4-way terminal blocks were plugged end to end and, up a bush at the front to about 6 feet up then across to a lamppost and down to the 'car'.

Get some new kettles. You'd be hard pressed to find a 3kw one these days. ;-)
--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Eh? No shortage of them on Amazon.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

In article

Not everyone shops at Amazon. ;-) Two 2.5 kW kettles should be happy enough on a double socket.
--
*A backward poet writes inverse.*

I never said they did. Just pointing out that one isn’t hard pressed to find 3kW kettles.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 15/08/2019 15:17, Tim+ wrote:

Modern portable appliances are supposed to be limited to 2.4kW to make allowances for the failings of cheap and cheerful modern mains sockets.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 15/08/2019 15:51, Martin Brown wrote:

Who says?
And John Lewis seem not to give a fig as they have 38 kettles rated 3 kW for sale on their site
--
Robin
On Thursday, 15 August 2019 15:51:56 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

I've not heard that, I just checked ao.com where I bought a 3KW kettle last year.
https://ao.com/l/kettles/1/55-106-78/?cmredirectionvalue=kettles
more than 1/2 of them are 3Kw.

Get a single proper Tea Urn ?

My Sainsburys one says 220-240 Volts, 2550-3000Watts.
I used to have 245 volts but these days it seems to be stuck at 223-225 volts.
The 240 volt 60 watt woolworths light bulb in the bathroom is now 28 years old :-)
On 14/08/2019 18:39, ARW wrote:

I had a brand new one from Tesco the other day that did not work out of the packet. A quick test showed no continuity between neutral busbar in the 4 way socket and the plug.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 14/08/2019 10:19, Graeme wrote:

None of the halls of residence our three stayed in initially required them.

In my experience of university/research institutions, in offices they come around once a year and expect to PAT test any and all electricals found. I've never known them to expect PAT testing up front, which would be a policy that would be hard to get people to manage the enthusiasm for complying with it, especially for random charging bricks and the like.
Perhaps in student halls they might want to be more stringent; this could make sense in high occupancy buildings, and given the possibly not entirely responsible behaviour of some students. However, if so I'd assume (although I do not know) that the uni would (insist on) doing the PAT testing themselves, for free.
#Paul

18 months ago, I was in a hotel from which we were evacuated at 5 in the morning to an outside where the temperature was -5C. Reason - someone's phone charger had causght fire.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Well, I think because mobile phone chargers have such a bad name for bursting into flames. They are not made well and people buy them from who knows where with fake iec marks on them. Brian