double glazing electrical certificates

I had double glazing installed in my house 7 months ago. When the double glazing was installed I was told by the installation company that the certificates would arrive within 8 weeks. However, all I have to date is a note posted to me by "FENSA", on which it refers to an installation date of

3 months ago and stating that certificates are due to be sent to me in the near future. I get the feeling that the installers did not bother to fill in the required paper work until I threatened them with Trading Standards, at which moment they quickly notified FENSA about the windows (whilst claiming that they had been recently fitted!). Just how long do these certificates take to be issued?!

On a related topic of certificates and regulations I'd like to mention my dealings with electricians. Recently I had an electrician come to my house to carry out an inspection for purposes of issuing an electrical certificate. He carried out the inspection, gave me a report detailing the reasons why it had failed to comply with various regulations and charged me £72. The work that he reckoned needed to be done would cost £845. I looked at the web site of NICEIC, and they recommend getting a second quote on the cost of any work needed to be done prior to issuing a certificate. NICEIC provide a list of qualified electricians that will carry out certificate work. I called 5 of them, each one said that they could not carry out the work (as described on the first electricians report) without first carrying out an inspection and charging me in excess of £60. In all their opinions, the interpretation of the regulations would differ according to which electrician had carred out the inspection. Weird. I thought it was all about setting standards.

We are hoping to sell our house next year, but

Reply to
jane