Self service checkouts in B&Q

The "no bags" option allows you to place your own bag on the platform to be weighed prior to scanning items, which can then be placed in the bag straightaway; rather than bagged up afterwards.

The number of bags used refers to the number of new plastic bags needing to be purchased at 5p/10p a pop, for subsequent bagging up.

Even more sadly perhaps, at a conservative estimate around 99% of your posts are sufficiently tedious to dissuade all but your most devoted fans from ever reading them at all. Never mind right to the end.

What may be of interest however, is that in Sainsbury's unlike in all the other major chains, the "0 bags" option is crossed through. Which is totally contrary to standard practice whereby this usually denotes that such an option is unavailable. Whether this is a scam by Sainsbury in order to persuade the unwary to buy at least one carrier bag is something I'm not minded to find out.

michael adams

michael adams

However you phrase the question, if you want confirmation of the number purchased then you have to allow for the common case of none bought. It seems to me inescapable.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Trying to get someone to admit to a negative is fraught with danger. No sane person would admit to a negative after it provided the excuse for the US and Britains war crimes in Iraq.

My main objection was of being the target of subliminal advertising.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

~Steven Wright

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Never had the problem before the Mazda.

The feature wasn't a mechanical or electrical fault, it was programmed in by a totally clueless idiot who had given no thought whatsoever as to the implcations.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

~Steven Wright

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Do they think teen checkout ops will sell booze to their mates?

Reply to
Max Demian

ASDA ask whether I'm using bags for life without asking me whether I brought them with me and so shouldn't be charged.

None of the supermarket self checkouts understand about contactless cards; even if you say that's what you have the lady in the machine asks you to insert your card. I always reply, "Shan't!"

Reply to
Max Demian

I wouldn't do that with old fashioned all mechanical locks: there's always the chance that slamming the doors lock them, the same as with house door locks. Always take your keys with you.

Reply to
Max Demian

10% off B&Q is still far more than you would pay at a proper builders merchant.
Reply to
Andrew

I've seen it happen.

Reply to
charles

It all depends on what you are buying and how far you have to travel. I use B&Q for things like the odd bag of sand which may be more expensive per bag but as my nearest alternative (cheaper) source is 15 minutes each way further in the car so not worth spending more in petrol and time to save a few pence.

Walk in off the street and a "proper builders merchant" will just make up a higher price or at least not offer the discounts given to account holders. It's much like buying tyres, there is the internet price, the phone up first price (remembering to ask if the quote includes valve balancing and VAT) and the just drive in price.

Reply to
alan_m

if you can get trade discount, perhaps

tim

Reply to
tim...

why does there need to be an "internet" price for tyres

what possible saving is there over serving a walk in

tim

Reply to
tim...

The saving is not having to spend time telling the potential customer the options and prices, answer questions, etc.

There's then - probably more important - the market pressure that those willing to book online are also very likely to be looking at the prices offered by competitors online. In other words, the internet makes the market more efficient.

Reply to
Robin

I assume to be competitive. Some of the big chains offer cheaper prices if you buy and purchase on line and have them fitted 24/48 hours after purchase at an appointment time more suited to their off-peak periods. Maybe it offers better stock control where the tyre you have ordered is only delivered the morning of the appointment rather than the individual retail outlet having to stock more of them them for a walk in. The internet pages often try the hard up-sell with free safety checks etc. which will ALWAYS find something wrong with the car.

A walk in is often the distress purchase and tyre retailers know they can charge a premium on the price of a tyre. At times you may be able to haggle to get a price reduction.

In my experience when phoning around you must ask for the full inclusive price (new valve, balancing and VAT) or else when you turn up and have a tyre fitted you may find all of these are extras.

Reply to
alan_m

The Tesco one does. Once you've got to the pay page with final total, just use it. No need to press anything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can use them contactless; just no-one has told the lady in the machine.

Reply to
Max Demian

Are you referring to Tesco machines? I was. And those have a man in the machine. ;-

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq snipped-for-privacy@mail.com writes

You are not. You are asked if you have taken one specific item for use which was previously provided free but is now chargeable and which the store is legally obliged to charge you for - the only item in the whole shop. Perhaps instead of being so argumentative you could suggest a better way of the store meeting it's legal obligations.

There is no legal requirement for Tesco to charge you for water, bottled or otherwise.

When the charge was introduced the stores had to put considerable effort into educating customers that they were then legally obliged to charge for carriers. I think it a reasonable assumption that everyone knows that taking a bottle of water without paying is theft.

But they are not.

+1
Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq snipped-for-privacy@mail.com writes

The hole gets deeper every post. Stop digging.

Reply to
bert