B&Q Automated Checkout

I claim a record. I put 8 items through, every one scanned OK, they all fitted on the scales, and I paid without any help from the eight of so staff hovering. I thought they were going to clap as I went out! I almost beat my mate who queued for the one human-checkout too. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

I noticed yesterday that the ghastly conveyor belt self op checkouts in Tesco Carlisle have disappeared. Double the quantity in/scan/bag it types have replaced them.

So they are slower than a real checkout. Stores can't be using "throughput of customers" as the reason for these abonimations, just that they don't need so many (expensive) operators.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Did you but dowel, trunking or grommets?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

^^^ buy

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not scanned a thing myself yet.

The last time we went the girl who was assisting the self-serve wasn't even officially at work. She did say the public is worried about their jobs being lost but they needn't worry as they'll always need checkout people.

Reply to
mogga

My local B&Q warehouse generally has very few checkouts open, so always involves queuing, making it faster to go through the self service that typically has little or no queue.

On the other hand, a local supermarket is a pain - it refuses to let me use my own (large and strong) bags - either complaining that I've not put the scanned items in the bag if I place my bags on the floor and fill them there or complaining of an unexpected item in the bagging area if I put my bag in the right place! This always involves a member of staff using their electronic key to override the warnings.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I sadly have the same T-shirt at various outlets.

A couple of weeks ago, buying batteries for Pater's smoke alarms, Tescoid's would not allow me to buy more than one through the self leaving till. I gave up and left a Tescdroid to sort out the mayhem as I found a free (thank goodness) humanly operated till close by.

Reply to
Clot

hang on, this is Been and Queued, there's only 1 person who can loose their job as a checkout operator there.

Reply to
gazz

Only problem I've had was last week. Had about 10 items, 2 of which were bottles of wine. When I'd finished only 1 bottle appeared on the screen so, being an honest chap I called the droid over. She looked on her screen & saw only one, so told me to scan one again.

I paid & checked the reciept which showed 3 bottles. Droid took me to customer services desk & they credited me with twice the amount - apparently if its their mistake they refund double.

Nice one. Free bottle of plonk. Honesty is sometimes the best policy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman