Re: B&Q self checkout machines

I've found it works rather well in many social situations, whether or not the person knows who Marie Antoinette was.

Also, whenever you invite anyone into your home, try asking them if they'd like a glass of warm milk and butter.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

Toom Tabard wibbled on Tuesday 27 October 2009 15:21

Sounds yum. Where do you live - I'll be right round!

Reply to
Tim W

I found the opposite - focus on mouseover as some Unix systems I used had annoys me.

Reply to
Clive George

Probably depends when you normally go shopping. I see the same faces in our Tesco midweek daytime but go in later/earlier/weekend it's all "young things".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't find them too bad at all. But what does bug me is how difficult they make it for you to re-use your own bags.

The planks who decide to put a trolleyful of shopping through a basket-only self checkout really piss me off!

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

They are 'partners' (or summat), so the better they do the bigger the share. Some of the cust. service and so-on are wives of solicitors, accountants etc. who prefer to work rather than be at home.

Reply to
PeterC

Maybe 10 years. But it's to do with the way Windows messages are sent from OS to apps so I suppose adding a patch for mice wheels is seen as inelegant at MS (like that normally worries them!!)

Personally, like Clive, I've never got on with that option but it is already available in Wind95-XP (dunno about Vista, never used it.) Download & install 'TweakUI' from Microsoft (appears as a Control Panel add-on) and the option's on the 'Mouse' tab of it.

Reply to
Scott M

In this area (Bucks/Herts/Beds) most of those early models with the belts have already been replaced with a type that has a longer bagging scale, capable of taking a trolley load of bags. No more are being made with belts.

Reply to
Bruce

Before you get too excited about how nice Seabrook's crisps are, compare the fat content, and especially the saturated fat content.

Walkers have done a lot to reduce fat/salt content in recent years.

Reply to
Bruce

Tights with holes in them, like the condoms?

Reply to
Bruce

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

No, every item has to be weighed but it's weighed on the platform where you bag it, you scan the item, the machine goes off, looks up the barcode in the database and tells you to bag the item, it then waits until it sees the platform scale register an increase in weight that corresponds with the weight that is in the database for that item.

Opinions may vary but I generally use them at Tesco because they can be very fast late at night when I do my shopping. If I have more than a bag of items then I use a normal checkout.

Perhaps... I wouldn't be at all surprised but the bag only ones aren't.

Not really necessary with a decent barcode scanner, of course, RFID is the way forward for this, run your trolley past the sensor and it's all read in an instant, tallied up and charged to your RFID credit card too. Ideal for fraud, someone nicks your contactless card and has at it with dozens of drive through small transactions.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

The Yorkshire Crisp Company is even better.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I wonder how much salt was in the kebab I had for breakfast?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There is nothing embarrasing about buying condoms.

I would be embarressed if I ever had to buy clap treatment pills at the chemists though.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sod it, I'm with Warren Buffett on this one. Eat what suits your metabolism. No five a day bollocks for him, and he looks pretty sprightly on it

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The big difference between Waitrose and the rest (ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons etc.) is that Waitrose attracts a better class of shopper.

Not having to deal with chavs and other assorted scum can only make it easier for Waitrose staff to be pleasant, polite, helpful and - dare I say it - probably a lot happier in their jobs.

And no, I'm not being a snob, because I shop mainly in Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons - my town doesn't have a Waitrose.

Reply to
Bruce

Apparently, the two major selling points for the self-checkouts are a reduction in staff costs (obviously) plus also a reduction in fraud.

Reply to
Bruce

Bag of Seabrooks: 31.8g

9.7g fat, of which 1.1g is saturated. 2.7g mono-unsaturated, 5.5g poly-unsaturated.

They've always been fried in sunflower oil as long as I can remember, which would explain that.

Sodium 0.3g.

Bag of Walkers: 34.5g

11.7g fat, of which 0.9g saturated, 9.3g mono-unsaturated, 1.0g poly-unsaturated. Sodium 0.2g.

So, despite all those efforts, they aren't really better on the fat content, and not much better on salt.

Reply to
Clive George

Can you name a Waitrose within easy reach of a 'chav' area?

Oh dear. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They don't let you do that in Aldi. They scan things and drop them back into your trolley. You pay and then take your trolley of stuff through the checkout to the self-packing area.

I break the system by not using a trolley.

Owain

Reply to
Owain