Railways.

You may well be correct; I was quoting what is said at the Canal Museum at Kings Cross.

Reply to
charles

Spoken like a true public sector worker.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

No blame it on the EU and their obsession with CO2 targets, and the Greens of course with their obsessive hatred of nuclear and their anti-science stance on energy.

Reply to
bert

In article , Graeme writes

Especially on West Coast main line and so we build a new track with super fast trains.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Canals and rivers are still used for some freight. But just as much of the traffic moved to the railways so much of the rail traffic moved onto road and some onto air e.g. royal mail

Reply to
bert

You need to have seen the film, with Marty Feldman playing Igor:

"Inga: Werewolf!

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Werewolf?

Igor: There.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What?

Igor: There, wolf. There, castle.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Why are you talking that way?

Igor: I thought you wanted to.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, I don't want to.

Igor: [shrugs] Suit yourself. I'm easy. "

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Didn't know the Tories ran China.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

... a fine example of what happens when unions get control.

Reply to
bert

And large number of overseas companies are British owned.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Of course it is. Just look at West Coast Main Line. There were passenger protests when they threatened to take the franchise away from Virgin.

Reply to
bert

Ah. I haven't seen the film. Thanks for that.

Reply to
Richard

You think all canals are still capable of being used for the purpose they were built for? If not, your argument fails. Once more.

You work out what government subsidy is applied to anything before using it? What figures do you use for that?

Your usual trick of trying to put words in other's mouths. If I thought BR was perfect, I'd have said so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And I'm sure using a horse to pull a cart instead of a bullock was a great advance too - at the time. WTF that has got do to with today, perhaps you'd explain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Beeching was merely concerned with cost cutting at that point in time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure that counts as 'advanced' these days.

Reply to
mechanic

Because by their own standards they shouldn't be allowed to settle in the UK. A refugee camp is good enough for them because they don't share our values and refuse to assimilate.

TW

Reply to
TimW

ROFLMAO!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am glad you enjoyed it.

Reply to
TimW

Dave Plowman (News) presented the following explanation :

Some of them are still being used for bulk transport!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They are too stupid to realise how true that is.

Reply to
dennis