Railways.

What makes you think I don't use them? There you go again inventing stuff to suit your narrative.

What makes you think I think that? There you go again inventing stuff to suit your narrative.

Try coming up with an argument or an intelligent comment or observation next time.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Sorry for assuming you didn't use something you obviously detest. For whatever reason. Did you fail the interview to become an engine driver?

Go on then. The railways replaced the canals. So what is to replace the railways other than road transport? On your planet it would be drones?

The one thing you're very good at is never providing a solution. Typical Brexiteer. Leave it all to others to work out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but, they carried on for freight until the big freeze of 1947.

Reply to
charles

Whoops! Crossed wires :-)

I didn't get free travel, but did commute into town for more years than I care to remember. Yes, there was days that were a complete disaster, but bearing in mind the number of people moved by trains every day, I always found the service to be pretty good, and a far better option than driving in.

One of life's pleasures, since moving north, has been using the train to visit family down south. A civilised way to travel.

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Graeme writes

was???? Were!

Reply to
Graeme

If it is listed on a stock exchange, then anyone can buy shares.

There are some large businesses which are privately owned, but all of the companies that are currently viewed in some quarters as villains (Apple, Google, Amazon, BP) are publically listed.

I'm a labour voter. With a number of pensions.

Reply to
newshound

wolf!

Reply to
Richard

What makes you think I detest them? There you go again inventing stuff to suit your narrative.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Those who go on and on about a disrupted train service (for whatever reason) must never have had to queue for hours on a motorway because of an accident, etc.

It is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. But try getting your vote heard at an general meeting.

Not so worried about them, as they don't provide an essential service to the UK. I'm very much in favour of genuine competition providing a better value service - but this simply isn't possible with trains.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There, wolf!

Reply to
John Rumm

yes and no. They ceased to be a significant carrier as soon as railways existed with equivalent destinations.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bloody good camouflage - where?

Reply to
Richard

The nationalised industries also trained up thousands of tradesmen. Most have now retired which is why we are in the shit. I was on e of them. As long as you kept passing, they's continue to let you get advanced qualifications. I know someone who got up to MSc.

Private industry just wants to try to import tradesmen.

Reply to
harry

Don't think Tim is interested in history. Except to imply railways are as obsolete as canals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The problem with railways and goods is all the double handling involved.

Reply to
harry

Then please explain what you meant by:-

***************

From: Tim Streater Subject: Re: Railways. Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 08:55 Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

When the canals were built, they were the bees knees. Until trains came along.

***************

That surely suggests trains are also obsolete. Or was it just one of your irrelevant 'points'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Neither the railways nor canals are obsolete. Nor are roads or planes. They are all there as available modes of transport for people to pick and businesses to use for their various purposes.

As a user, what you have to decide is what suits your purpose. You also have to be concerned about whether the government is subsidising one more or another, and whether that is a good thing or not, since if they are, it's your taxes being used for the purpose.

You appear to have decided that the railway system was at its best under BR and that we should go back to that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In the eyes of people at the time.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It was later than that , the British Transport commission wasn't formed till 1948 which took over the canals from various owners like the Railways and like them put them in state ownership, they continued to carry freight probably at a loss till the next big freeze in 1962 finally dealt a death blow though odd operations by others continued into the 1970's.

Some Railways were, Beeching amongst others dealt with a lot of them

Canals have changed use with odd exception like the privately owned Manchester Ship canal from being a means of freight transport to a facility for leisure of various kinds, a master stroke of the Canal preservation movement in the 1960's was persuading the Government to keep a good part of the network usable subsidised by tax payers for people to sail their expensive narrow boats on , the railway equivalent would have been all those lines like the Bluebell and other tourist lines being run by a government department as a leisure facility for Steam train Buffs to gawp at supported by the taxpayer.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg