Consumer unit height.

On a new build, does the consumer unit height have to comply to the same

1200mm max height as all the rest of the electrical accessories?
Reply to
Steve

1200mm is a guide anyway. Typical height of CU's is recomended between 1200 and 1500mm.
Reply to
Alan

In a modern build box where on earth is there space to waste on a chest level CU???? Mind you, with the average ceiling height seeming to be on a slide back towards 16th century levels[1], perhaps 1500mm is the top of the wall.

[1] I boggle at how stupidly low some modern ceilings are. I'm 5'9 and light fitting seem almost at eye level. The 6'4 brigade must actually be looking down on the shades.
Reply to
Scott M

In the recess behind the front door in my mothers 5 year old build. It's less than chest level so probably around the 1200 mark. Quite a good place for it, not much else could be put there and it is nice and easy for her to reach . As an octogenarian with some mobility problems the days of standing on some wobbly step device to reach a just below the ceiling CU to reset a breaker are over.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Cupboard under the stairs - unless it's a flat?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My next one will be head height. Because that is where the outgoing cables are. Incoming supply will be safely ducted.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Since I have a cellar, cables go both ways. What I did was make a false wall to mount the CU on - so cables are behind that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)