Mounting New Consumer Unit - height from ground (floor)

Aaafternoon all!

A straightforward (and possibly silly!) question regarding the Installation of a new Consumer Unit in my garage.

I have moved the site of the old fusebox, and have installed a shiny new Consumer Unit of the Wylex Split-Load variety in my garage. When positioning the new unit on the Garage wall, it then occurred to me...

...Is there a standard height at which modern Consumer Units should be mounted? Presumably they must be out of children's reach, but easily accessible without having to stand on anything.

I have noticed that the C.U. in my parents' house (built circa 1991) is exactly 2 metres from the garage floor - is this a regulation height?

In the absence of any fixed ideas, I'll be sticking at the same height for my installation.

However, I'd be very keen to hear from anyone else who has successfully mounted their own unit in their garage (or some other easily accessible location), and would like to know the height off the floor that they have chosen.

Best,

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

[Snip]

I put mine (same unit as yours) in the same place as the old CU ... about 1m above the floor in the cupboard under the stairs.

Reply to
BillV

On 4 May 2004 06:50:56 -0700, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Alan Dempster) strung together this:

I've fitted hundreds of consumer units, at heights between 100mm from FFL to somewhere atop a ladder. Put it where you want, although for convenience around 2m is quite handy, not going to lost behind furniture and no steps needed to access it.

Reply to
Lurch

Just mount it out of reach of small children. Don't have to too high. You don't want to have to find a step stool to cut the power in an emergency. They're between light switch height and the ceiling. 2m sounds inconveniently high to me, so I prefer mine lower.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle