Simple cheap wireless personal alarm (not intruder alarm) required

Can anyone help please. I have a closely-situated neighbour who is old. I wish to give him a personal wireless transmitter he can wear constantly which will activate an alarm in my house (but NOT a burgular alarm) in case of illness or an emergency where he cannot use the telephone. It needs a range of 50/100 metres so a low powered transmitter is suitable. I have considered using a wireless door bell as the alarm sounder but a door-bell button is unsuitable. The transmitter obviously needs to be small. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use or adapt? Preferably cheap please.

Reply to
Roy Gilbert

For this application, it's probably not worth it. Many local authorities run a subsidised scheme for providing a properly monitored call system, with them also being able to call back through a speakerphone and listen in. You could be listed as one of the numbers they call in the event of any problem, but if you aren't around, an emergency would still be handled 24x7. Contact your local social services and see what's available in your area.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Why is a door bell button unsuitable? What about a small cheap PAYG phone? The best option would be a local authority monitoring service though.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Why not a wireless doorbell ? - I am sure I saw one in B and Q the other day with a claimed range of up to 200 Mtrs ! I thought they only managed 50 feet !

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

I have one mounted on my gatepost - the ringer is almost 200 feet away. It works very well.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Operative word "claimed". As with all things RF the location and what is inbetween the Tx and Rx is critical. If there is nothing but air range and both the Tx and Rx are a few tens of feet above the ground then you'll probably find they work far further than quoted. But bung the Rx in a basement and the Tx the otherside of several walls and it might not work at all.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks to all for your replies. I am pursuing a Friedland wireless chime which has the benefit of differing tones for "front & rear door" & can use a number of senders. In other words, #1 for my real front door,#2 for next door. Your comments about range have been taken on board & I'm going for one which has a 200m range (in open air). Thks again. Roy

Reply to
Roy Gilbert

Just make sure you ask advice when buying and specify that it needs to work from X to Y with Z terrain/obstructions. The store then doesn't have a leg to stand on if it doesn't perform.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice